Archived Boards and Threads... > SMF Feedback and Discussion

Copyright Removal

<< < (2/6) > >>

Kindred:
I challenge you to prove that the copyright line is what's actually "attracting spambots", since I run several SMF sites that appears on page one of google and have a fair number of back links - and I have the SMF copyright - and yet, I don't have a spam problem since using questions, stop spammer and bad behavior+httpBL.

Not a single spammer has gotten through the registration process without being flagged and stopped for review and approval. And even those are few and far between at this point.

So... If you have some evidence, other than someone tells you "it's because of the copyright line", then it would be good to hear it, since we'd like to know....

It's like the people a few version back claiming that removing the version number protects the site from hack attempts... Completely false,

Xarcell:
Ok my site is this:
http://xarthemes.com

Anti-spam mods installed:
bad behavior
forum firewall
Recaptcha - recently uninstalled due to errors.

My Registration Questions are:
Are You Human?
Ok, Let's Check. What is: Two + 1 Minus 3? (in words)

I have deleted over 400 spammer accounts about 2 months ago. Current 38 accounts on the ban list. I ban about 1-3 people a day for spamming. It got so bad I just disabled registration. There are members that will register, then wait a month or two before they start spamming. There are 1200 accounts, none have posted except for about 5, I believe them to be mostly spammers who haven't posted yet(some just put back-links in sig.). I still have 393 accounts on the waiting to be activated list. Heck, you can even see the spam on the site now.

As far as challenging me, I already tested the theory. I even tried changing the copyright to "Powered By: Simple Machines Forum". No luck. I don't feel like hunting it down, but there are several legit articles on how spam-bots are used to find sites with copyrights such as smf, ipb, wordpress, etc, but large active sites are avoided. Those sites are then placed into a directory for human marketers that work for companies hired by other companies or individuals  to market their sites or improve SEO(link backs). I challenge you to research it yourself. I'm tired already of fighting it. I found my solution.

It's funny though how the spambots don't look for the credits page, they just search for the copyright on the homepage. Some try to overcome this by using a splash page.

Anyway, I don't want to ramble on and on about it.

butchs:

--- Quote from: Xarcell on February 04, 2012, 04:07:51 PM ---Ok my site is this:
http://xarthemes.com

--- End quote ---

I believe you have not properly configured your anti-spam resources.  I ran a fews test on your site and I note the following:

* I could not find evidence that forum firewall is enabled.  I ran several tests that would normally block me at my site and nothing happened.  I can only conclude that if you are using the mod you are only checking ip addresses.

* I noticed that Bad Behavior is enabled but I am not sure if your are running the honeypot portion as advised.  Using the honeypot database will block many known spammers.

* When I looked at your forum page source I saw no evidence of the usual Bad Bahavior index.template.php "bb2_screener" function.  So the screener test is not being used.

* When I looked at your forum page source I did not see the usual SMF "<meta name="robots"" code.  It seems you omitted the default SMF robots meta code.

* When I accessed your site with "Bad Behavior Test" the first time I was blocked, changed my UA and was blocked, changed it again and I had access.  You should increase you BB cache.

* I checked for robots.txt and could not find it in the root directory.  You should add it as advised here.

Xarcell:

--- Quote from: butchs on February 04, 2012, 08:38:58 PM ---
I believe you have not properly configured your anti-spam resources.  I ran a fews test on your site and I note the following:

* I could not find evidence that forum firewall is enabled.  I ran several tests that would normally block me at my site and nothing happened.  I can only conclude that if you are using the mod you are only checking ip addresses.

* I noticed that Bad Behavior is enabled but I am not sure if your are running the honeypot portion as advised.  Using the honeypot database will block many known spammers.

* When I looked at your forum page source I saw no evidence of the usual Bad Bahavior index.template.php "bb2_screener" function.  So the screener test is not being used.

* When I looked at your forum page source I did not see the usual SMF "<meta name="robots"" code.  It seems you omitted the default SMF robots meta code.

* When I accessed your site with "Bad Behavior Test" the first time I was blocked, changed my UA and was blocked, changed it again and I had access.  You should increase you BB cache.

* I checked for robots.txt and could not find it in the root directory.  You should add it as advised here.
--- End quote ---

I don't understand alot of that. However I will try.

* Bad behavior is enabled.
* I see honeypot is not enabled. Lacks access key, but I retrieved one and applied it.
* Increased cache from 8 to 15.
* "<meta name="robots"" have no idea what that is but will look into it.
* "bb2_screener" function  again, no idea, but will look into it.
* As far as forum firewall, I have no idea how to tell if it is enabled. I checked "enable testing" and "block violations". Is that correct?
* Robots.txt - will look into it.
When you said you had access, access to what?

My site is a SMF theme site. I think the reason the meta tag and bb2_screener isn't present is because it would require an edit to themes I've created and are demoed.

butchs:

--- Quote from: Xarcell on February 05, 2012, 12:05:57 AM ---I see honeypot is not enabled. Lacks access key, but I retrieved one and applied it.

--- End quote ---

That should help.


--- Quote from: Xarcell on February 05, 2012, 12:05:57 AM ---As far as forum firewall, I have no idea how to tell if it is enabled. I checked "enable testing" and "block violations". Is that correct?

--- End quote ---

Partially, you need to enable each individual test.  Ie "Enable IP Validation" will test ip addresses.  Read the "?" a/k/a help for more information for each test.  Please make sure you turn off block violations while trying new tests until you are sure you will not block your members and yourself.


--- Quote from: Xarcell on February 05, 2012, 12:05:57 AM ---When you said you had access, access to what?

--- End quote ---

I just browsed.


I noticed you are running BB 2.1.13.  You should upgrade to a newer version.  The latest version is 2.2.1.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version