While we are finalizing our preparations for the SMF 2.0 final release, having found some free time to cool my head off, I thought I would deal with another thing which I have been planning to do for months: making a post noting the important changes since RC3.
Yep. This is a long long delayed post noting the important changes made to SMF 2.0, which mostly affects modification authors, as well as the regular forum administrators, since SMF 2.0 RC3 version. If you are looking for a status update on SMF 2.0 development, check out my last blog post
, if you haven't done yet.Package database functions forced UNSIGNED attribute for numeric fieldsMembergroup changes through profile were not being logged
Always allow personal messages from self
- SMF 2.0 allows admins to track member profile changes if respective Core Feature is enabled. However, it did not log member group changes. Now it'll log both primary and additional group changes properly.
- Related report: http://dev.simplemachines.org/mantis/view.php?id=3953
- Fixed in: RC4 (revision 9859)
Table creation did not return success or failure
- Members could not send personal messages to themselves when they only allowed personal messages from Administrators and/or buddies. The fix makes sure members can send personal messages to themselves regardless of their personal message ignore settings.
- Related report: http://dev.simplemachines.org/mantis/view.php?id=4267
- Fixed in: RC4 (revision 9861)
Guests reporting posts did not log e-mail and IP, and did not support visual verification
- Using package database functions, if you had an incorrect table definition, the table was not created but there were no errors given either. The error is now displayed and logged.
- Related report: http://dev.simplemachines.org/mantis/view.php?id=3405
- Fixed in: RC4 (revision 9883)
addMembersToGroup behavior for 'auto' mode was not correct
- E-mail and IP addresses was not logged and it was not possible require visual verification while guests were reporting posts, which made moderation impossible. E-mail and IP addresses are now logged and it's possible to require visual verification for guest post reporting.
- Related report: http://dev.simplemachines.org/mantis/view.php?id=4158
- Fixed in: RC4 (revision 9886)
Configurable extensive security checks for attachments and avatars
- addMembersToGroup function 'auto' type assigned membergroup as both primary and additional group when primary group was available. It now assigns membergroup only as primary, when it's available.
- Related report: http://dev.simplemachines.org/mantis/view.php?id=4274
- Fixed in: RC4 (revision 9892)
create_table function no long updates "update" columns
- The extensive security checks introduced with RC3 were resulting in a large number of rejected attachments and other issues with their implementation, therefore they were fixed and turned into multiple options: image re-encoding, set as enabled by default, extensive checks, set to disabled by default, and thumbnails saving as PNG, enabled by default. They can be enabled/disabled from Attachment Settings administration area.
- Related report: http://dev.simplemachines.org/mantis/view.php?id=4268
- Fixed in: RC4 (revision 9903)
Upgraded modifications were not uninstalled properlyIt was not possible to pass variables by reference for integration functionsStatic class methods could not be handled properly by integration hooksIt was not possible to define multiple functions for integration hooksNew replies while posting warning now uses last message idmoderate_forum permission allowed managing censored words
- create_table package database function was partially trying to update the existing table definition by updating columns. This partial functionality was removed. So changes to table definitions should be handled by modification authors separately.
- Related report: http://dev.simplemachines.org/mantis/view.php?id=3561
- Fixed in: RC4 (revision 9941)
Paid subscriptions test mode
- Members with only moderate_forum permission can no longer access censored words area and only members with admin_forum permission are allowed to manage censored words.
- Fixed in: RC4 (revision 10130)
Language file cache
- An interface for test mode option added in Paid Subscriptions settings area, which puts the paid subscriptions into "test" mode, which will, wherever possible, use sandbox payment methods.
- Related report: http://dev.simplemachines.org/mantis/view.php?id=4503
- Fixed in: RC4 (revision 10171)
Fallback for language stringsProtected groups for too powerful groups
- Language file caching was removed since it did not contribute much to performance and made it difficult to work with them.
- Fixed in: RC4 (revision 10238)
clean_cache only cleaned disk/file cache
- A new group type, "Protected", was introduced for "too powerful groups" such as groups that can administrate forum. Protected groups can only be modified by Administrator group and member addition and removal to Protected groups can only be carried out by members belonging to Administrator group.
- Fixed in: RC4 (revision 10239)
News items no longer parse raw HTML
- clean_cache did not work for caching through the use of accelerators. It will now try to invalidate the cache.
- Fixed in: RC5 (revision 10276)
SSI.php and guest access
- It's no longer possible to use raw HTML in news items for security reasons. However, administrators can use BBC tag to include HTML in news items instead.
- Fixed in: RC5 (revision 10332)
add_index function and duplicate indexesSearch APIs and search settings
- SSI.php did not handle guest access correctly for forums having guest access disabled. A new variable named $ssi_guest_access was introduced, which can be defined before SSI.php is included, and when set to false (the default setting) "falls back" to forum setting and when set to true allows guest access to the script regardless.
- Fixed in: RC5 (revision 10333)
- Search APIs can now modify search settings by using 'searchSettings' method, which receives the $config_vars array holding the information regarding search settings by reference.
- Related report: http://dev.simplemachines.org/mantis/view.php?id=4606
- Fixed in: RC5 (revision 10394)