I got sick of speedtest.net constantly falling back in it's speed over and over,
so I used http://speedtest.upc.nl
instead. (European mirror) Quite a delight
At speedtest.net I even had a mirror that wouldn't get me more than about 500Kb/sec :|
For fun tried to do a little speedtest with a test VPS on SSH as well to see how that would perform being connected to a Gbit line, fun results, though it could do with some improvements. Unfortunately it depends on the uploading party as well
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: 100mb.bin
100%[==============================================================================================================================>] 104,857,600 32.3M/s in 3.1s
2012-07-29 04:37:12 (32.3 MB/s) - 100mb.bin
32.3MB/s translates back to a rough 258Mbit/sec download from a external source.
If I could find a proper Europe ST it should be able to range well up to 900 ~1000Mbit.
Didn't run a test on my own network in California as I couldn't quickly find a suitable 100mb.bin from an external source that's not in Europe. Have one internal but that's simply cheating