We are happy to bring you the second (and final) Release Candidate of Simple Machines Forum. As always, we hope that this new version is better, more stable, and more efficient than those previous. Remember, Charter Members - there are a few things in this package that weren't in the one you guys got!
Some of the major changes made in this release (from RC1) are:
- Redirects now work better with older servers, and buggy versions of IE.
- Many internationalization concerns were addressed.
- The user help should be ready to be translated to new langauges.
- The "Disabled BBC tags" feature now works much better.
- Many new administrative permissions are now available.
- Topic announcements are now sent much more reliably, and only with a permission.
- Many package manager improvements.
- The spellchecker should highlight things much more reliably.
- An option to copy board permissions from one to another has been added.
- Added option to mark topics unread.
- Temporary tables are no longer *required*.
- Many print-topic issues.
- Added readmes to the downloads.
- Integration into software, such as Mambo, works much better now.
- Referrer check now works across subdomains.
Please see the changelog for a more detailed list of these changes, and more.
We would much appreciate it if you would give us constructive feedback on this release, as well as bug reports. These are two of the things that really help a project grow and strive. The next release should be the final 1.0 release, so it's crucial we solve as many issues as possible before then.
Some changes have been made that require template changes. For the most part, you should be able to use your old templates... but without these new features. Please *tell us* if your old templates (that worked with RC1) don't work with RC2. We will fix it.
If you are upgrading from RC1, you only need to use the "update" package because it includes just the changed files. However, if you have any mods installed it would be better to use the "upgrade" package. Remember that you can use the "upgrade" package to go from any previous version of SMF. You can also use it to upgrade from YaBB SE.
You can always find information posted here about things like installation
, and more. The zip files themselves also include manuals. If you would like us to install or upgrade for you, please tell us and we'll try to get right on it.http://www.simplemachines.org/download.php