I manage a family site where many parents fill out and send in the required COPPA form. That's working great, but SMF isn't very friendly when it comes to keeping up with this form and who has a form on file. Once you "activate" that user, you just have to make a note somewhere that a particular user is under 13 if you want to be able to keep up with it. Then you have to file a hard copy of the form, etc., etc. It's just too hard to keep up with.
Underage User Management is a MUST for family forums that receive a lot of forms and must maintain a list of them.
I would like to see underage user management that does the following:
Underage user management should:
- When activating an underage member, it prompts for an upload of the form, and allows the upload in PDF format. (I convert them all to PDF anyway, and pretty much anyone can convert to and use this format.)
- It stores the document in a safe location and prevents people from accessing it directly.
- Viewing the form is permission based, so I can give my assistant admins and/or moderators access to view the form, but not allow general users to see them, and give permissions to membergroups to manage underage users.
- New section for managing underage users, where it will automatically list all users who selected "under 13" at registration, even if they don't have their birthday listed.
1. automatically remove a user from the underage list when they turn 13 if the birthday is listed.
2. have a link to the COPPA permission form that was uploaded when the user was activated for viewing.
3. allow manual removal of a member if you know they have turned 13, even if they don't have their birthday listed publicly.
4. allow manual addition of a member if you discover AFTER registration they lied about age at registration, which would "deactivate" their account and send the COPPA form to their email address.
5. upon a user editing their birth date, if that new birth date makes the user under 13, it should add them to the underage list, send a COPPA form, and deactivate their account automatically. (This is how most underage users are found out, by the posting of their birth date some time after registration. Handling it automatically would be a drastic improvement.)
6. Allow a link to "resend" the COPPA form should it be needed. I have had to manually copy and resend the COPPA form on many occasions, and just don't understand why this feature isn't included already.
I feel this is long over due. Anyone who manages such a site in the US is bound to agree, however, they are probably using forum software better dedicated to the management of younger users.