Not exactly sure where this should go, so I figured "chit chat" was a good place to start...
* Let's say someone created an online forum using the SMF software.
* The forum has been moderately successful, gathering thousands of registered users, including hundreds of more or less regular daily users, and has stuck around for 3-4 years.
* At some point, the person who started the forum loses interest and moves on to other pursuits, abandoning the forum, and leaving, as it were, no explanation or forwarding address.
* The forum continues to chug along without him, but small glitches begin to develop over time, and the residents of the forum are worried that one day the whole thing will come tumbling down.
* Now I am far from an expert on these things, but it does seem to me that there must be some way that ownership of the forum could be transfered from the original creator, to one of the regular denizens who is willing to put in at least the minimal effort necessary to keep the forum from deteriorating.
* But no one in the forum seems to actually know how to accomplish this?
* Does anyone here know if such a thing can be done, and if so, how?
* Bear in mind that the original creator of the forum appears to be permanently incommunicado.
Moderators: feel free to move this request to a more appropriate place, as needed.