Paid Subscriptions

Started by Grudge, August 12, 2006, 06:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

It's 1.1.x, judging by the footer they were primarily working off a 1.1 beta.

The first clue: the footer cites copyright 2005, which predates 1.1 final. The copyright in 2.0 changed to Simple Machines (NPO)

Second clue, the Sources/ folder exists, Sources/PostModeration.php doesn't exist, Sources/ModSettings.php does, so it's 1.1.x.

Biology Forums

Very impressive, thank you. The admin of that forum is probably in an even worse boat than me.

shaitanfr

Quote from: Liam_michael on January 09, 2014, 08:04:13 PM
Don't mean to open up a can of worms, but I've been getting complaints that this mod, which has been working perfectly for the past year on my forum, isn't working anymore. The membergroups are not automatically being updated for paid members. My website has not changed, nor has the PHP software running behind the scenes changed - it is a dedicated server.

My question is, has PayPal made any changes to the IPN file recently that may account for this?

Hello,

I encounter exactly the same problem as you since yesterday.
I also assume that it comes from PayPal.
I got the last pin code 4 h 40 pm and then nothing.

Edit:
I just tested sending notification in paypal history and this time I received the IPN. I think everything is back in order.
I did the same test last night and it did not work.

blogger419

Does the paid subscriptions mod that is built into SMF 2.0.6 work? In 2.0.5 I could receive payments but it wouldn't change the users group membership so I basically stopped using it because it was a big pain the ass to do it manually.  I set up a sand box account with PayPal and tried to test it several times ( with 2.0.6) and it's not working for me. More specifically, I am able to make the payment, but after the payment is made there is on change to the user account whatsoever on the forum. I don't even see a log of it, it's like nothing happened.  Interestingly I  ran and IPN test from the sandbox dashboard and it worked. Am I missing something here? Could there be a permissions issue? I recently moved to a VPS.

Sort of off topic: If I am some how able to get the paid subscriptions mod to work is there a way to make it so that all NEWLY registered guests will have to pay to access the forum? I want to give my current members time to pay, but force new users to pay now.

Arantor

There is a known bug with the sandbox mode if the email address for the sandbox mode is different to the real email address you'll be using.

(Note that this mod was written by the person who would later go on to add it to 2.0, so this mod won't help you, not that this mod would help you anyway because it would need a substantial rewrite to use 2.0 database functions)

blogger419

Quote from: Sir Cumber-Patcher on January 10, 2014, 06:30:28 PM
There is a known bug with the sandbox mode if the email address for the sandbox mode is different to the real email address you'll be using.

(Note that this mod was written by the person who would later go on to add it to 2.0, so this mod won't help you, not that this mod would help you anyway because it would need a substantial rewrite to use 2.0 database functions)

I appreciate that, and I may be asking on the wrong board. What I need to know is: Does the current built in payment system work? If so are there any special settings that need to be set?

Biology Forums

Quote from: shaitanfr on January 10, 2014, 01:31:47 AM
Don't mean to open up a can of worms, but I've been getting complaints that this mod, which has been working perfectly for the past year on my forum, isn't working anymore. The membergroups are not automatically being updated for paid members. My website has not changed, nor has the PHP software running behind the scenes changed - it is a dedicated server.

My question is, has PayPal made any changes to the IPN file recently that may account for this?

Hello,

Edit:
I just tested sending notification in paypal history and this time I received the IPN. I think everything is back in order.

It was working this morning again, but once again is stumbling. I think I might contact PayPal.

Arantor

Quote from: blogger419 on January 10, 2014, 06:32:32 PM
Quote from: Sir Cumber-Patcher on January 10, 2014, 06:30:28 PM

I appreciate that, and I may be asking on the wrong board. What I need to know is: Does the current built in payment system work? If so are there any special settings that need to be set?

Yes, you need to not be doing what you're doing, like I said...

blogger419

Is there a way to make it so that only NEW members have to pay to join a certain group? I basically want to implement paid memberships but I want to only start with new people, and perhaps give current members different options.

Arantor

No there isn't, not in this mod, not in 2.0, unlikely to be added in 2.1.

shaitanfr

Quote from: Liam_michael on January 10, 2014, 06:33:22 PM
Quote from: shaitanfr on January 10, 2014, 01:31:47 AM

Hello,

Edit:

It was working this morning again, but once again is stumbling. I think I might contact PayPal.

Same here. But I just re-tested at the moment and it works again. The problem does not come from paypal.  According to my research, 99% of IPN problem come from networks or servers. Often it is intercontinental links problematic. Hopefully this is finally solved now especially that the weekend is here ..

blogger419

I've gotten about 12 new paid members since I've started using the built in paid subscriptions feature. However, only 2 of them have successfully been put into the paid members group. The rest show up as Finished/inactive with weird dates for instance: start date 1/12/14 end date 1/30/05. Any idea what is causing that? It's going to be real pain if I have to manually go through and place all the paid members into the correct group.

Arantor

The 2005 thing is a known bug but it's never been able to be properly diagnosed before because the only reference to 2005 in the code is from manually setting up subscriptions and doing it wrong :/

blogger419

Quote from: Sir Cumber-Patcher on January 12, 2014, 01:28:42 PM
The 2005 thing is a known bug but it's never been able to be properly diagnosed before because the only reference to 2005 in the code is from manually setting up subscriptions and doing it wrong :/

Any idea why two people would have been successfully added to the group but 10 others show as "Finished" and are  not placed in the group? I read something about SMF e-mail vs paypal email, however on at least a few of the inactive new registers they were the same.

Side note: Does anyone know of a company or person who does paid support? I've got a bunch of little bugs that I'd like taken care of, and I am willing to pay.

Arantor

That's the point: it's never been able to be diagnosed properly in the past :(

blogger419

Quote from: Sir Cumber-Patcher on January 12, 2014, 02:36:36 PM

How much is your consulting rate?

Arantor

Variable, depends on the situation but honestly I don't have the time right now to take on new clients :(

Biology Forums

Perhaps then this should be a focus for SMF 2.1?

By the way, I've never experienced the 2005 problem.

Arantor

Perhaps you should take a look at the list of issues tracked for 2.1.

blogger419

Quote from: Liam_michael on January 12, 2014, 02:44:59 PM

Perhaps then this should be a focus for SMF 2.1?

By the way, I've never experienced the 2005 problem.

I am using 2.0.6

Advertisement: