News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

vReportBoard Mod

Started by Valodim, August 21, 2006, 07:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelina Belle

hhy89,

I noticed that you have produced an updated version of the mod.

With apologies, I must ask you to remove your attachment.
Unfortunately, the mod's original author did not grant any license (permission) for others to modify and re-distribute his code.

I understand that you did this in good faith, as a service to the SMF community, in the same way that the original author distributed his mod.

I would suggest that it might be acceptable to post instructions for modifying the mod's code, rather than publishing the "finished product".

I am sorry that this is necessary. Because the author did not provide any licensing statement at all, he did not provide any permission for others to re-use, modify, and redistribute his code. We will honor the original author's copyright.  If he wishes to grant permission to others to modify and re-distribute, the original author may publish a new version of the code with a new copyright notice, perhaps choosing one of the many open-source copyright licenses already available.

Again, my apologies.

------------
Edit:

A member of the SMF team has removed that attachment. Our apologies.  I hope you can understand why it was necessary.
Please contact the mod author for permission to distribute an altered version of the mod.
Thank You.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

Advertisement: