Regbar Warning

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, August 22, 2006, 06:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkman

So do I 
Option 1 - go to  Admin > Packages > Download Package and go to the bottom section that says "Download a package by url" , and then put in the URL of the smf page with the mod?

Or

Option 2 - Do I go to the SMF mod page and download the zip file?  Then what is my next move?

I think I am getting burned out feeling like instead of spending my time running a medical help forum I have to become a PHP hobbiest.  Do you think maybe SMF is not for me and I need a piece of commercial forum software?  I hate asking dumb questions all day long.

Thanks

Hawk
All that is necessary for evil to prosper is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke

Arantor

I outlined every step you need for option 2. Download it to your computer, then upload it using the option at the bottom of the page.

QuoteDo you think maybe SMF is not for me and I need a piece of commercial forum software?

Speaking as someone who has licenses for all three major commercial forum software, I guarantee you will not get an easier ride out of it. If anything they will make you jump through more hoops.

But if I may be frank, it is not possible to run a website of any nature without either learning something of the beast, or paying someone else to do it entirely for you. Just like driving a car, you need to learn to drive, then also understand when things are not going right by looking for basic issues.

hawkman

OK Arantor, I guess I am just getting tired. I do appreciate your frankness but I am not used to asking so many dumb questions.  I feel like I need to read something to systematically learn.

I downloaded the zip file.  I assume I cannot upload a zip file and I need to unzip it.  If I do which of the several unzipped files to I then upload?

Thank you for your help.

Hawk
All that is necessary for evil to prosper is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke

Arantor

QuoteI assume I cannot upload a zip file

Yes, you can. From the Admin > Packages > Download Package page. At the bottom is a place to upload zip files from your computer. Like I said previously.

hawkman

Arantor, I thank you, I got it installed.  It seemed the first time I tried it would not accept uploading the zip file.  I must have done something wrong.  Off to get some sleep.  Thanks Again.

Hawk

Paffman

I know this is an old thread, but I have installed Regbar. Now where do I find the settings in the admin? I am running 2.0.7 with Concept3 by MGCVisuals theme.

Many thanks,
Steve

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Paffman

Quote from: vbgamer45 on March 24, 2014, 09:29:59 AM
There are no settings for this mod.

Thanks for getting back to me. So it is not compatible with the theme Concept3 by MGCVisuals?

vbgamer45

No idea. You may have to edit the theme to include the code that the mod adds. Upload the mod to http://www.smfhacks.com/smf-package-parser.html and follow the package edits.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Matthew K.

When I wrote the update I tried to add the code in Source files so that it'd work on all themes. Can you describe what exactly you're having problems with? Is it just not showing up on the theme? Or is it showing up with an issue?

SaltedWeb

I installed, for me just does not show up in theme.
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

Ninja ZX-10RR

I think I am going to report this mod since whenever I try to uninstall it it says "Nice try" and I cannot actually uninstall it. It removed the edits to the load.php file but it cannot be removed from the package manager without manually editing the db.
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

vbgamer45

You should only get that if you are running the script not as admin
// Erm, admins, only.
global $user_info;
if (!$user_info['is_admin'])
   exit('Nice try.');

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Ninja ZX-10RR

Thanks for the reply.

IMO that's *REALLY* stupid since I wasn't using the admin account and it actually broke everything and I had to set the mod as uninstalled manually with the "fix_packages" tool. Moreover, it also DID uninstall it but he told me "Nice try" anyway.

As a footnote you really should have stated it in the description but there is no warning about it.
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

vbgamer45

Any reason why you were uninstalling a mod not as an admin? Don't packages have to be installed/uninstalled as an admin.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Ninja ZX-10RR

Wonder why there is a permission to administrate the package manager? :)

An admin may not want to always use his "administrator" account. ;)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

vbgamer45

It is done for security otherwise anyone could access the script if it is left on the forum....

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Ninja ZX-10RR

I still don't get it.

I have installed something like 150 mods on my forum and kept installed around 100, NONE of them was doing this kind of thing. So you either addressed ANY other mod as insecure or it's just your own one with this problem.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Arantor

Access to the package manager is with the admin_forum permission. vbgamer's fix elevates it to group 1 admins.

But yes, he is implying that almost every mod is insecure, or that SMF itself is. Funny how no-one has told the dev team so that they can make a decision if they agree or not.

Ninja ZX-10RR

That's exactly what I am saying. Any ideas? You surely know better than me, but I found out this thing and yeah I just want to know if there could be a potential security flaw or not. IMHO not since SMF permissions can handle running those scripts, methinks. Up to you Arantor, I was truly hoping to see an answer from you in this case since I don't really know what to do about it, report it? Not report it? Tell the team? If so, how in any case?

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Advertisement: