News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Custom Themes

Started by Miyuki-chan, May 08, 2004, 12:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miyuki-chan

Is there any documentation anywheres that shows me how to make up a custom theme? So far I've had an SM forum running for about three months, but it doesn't conform to the rest of my site appearance wise. I've tried playing around with it, but without any success. I really only want a forum so that I can visit or chat with friends, I don't know anything about coding/hacking forum software. Is there any hope for a brainless airhead like me?

Spaceman-Spiff

Several options that you can have/do:

1. Search the Graphics board for a theme that you like, and use it for your forum,
2. Search for a YaBB SE theme or make one yourself (it's in HTML and CSS), then use install.php or upgrade.php to convert your theme into SMF,
3. Learn echo/print in PHP and make your own theme :), or
4. Have someone help you to make a theme

Miyuki-chan

Erm, well I haven't looked around all that much for canned themes, but that was a while ago, so maybe there are new ones out there now. Number 2 I tried when I first upgraded my forum from YabbSE to SMF so that I could keep the theme the same, but it didn't work. Don't ask me why because I'll never be able to figure that out. Number 3 I did try. I installed the apache server and mysql on my pc and made that work, but I could never get the SMF to run. And for number 4, I don't know anyone that is able to make a theme for me. I would like to try number 2 again if it's possible to do it without breaking my forum, is there a way?

[Unknown]

Miyuki-chan,

That's what we're here for.  I think the best way is setting up a server on your own computer.  Did you use this tutorial?

http://unknown.network32.net/tutorial.basic-server

If you didn't, please do try it.  If you did, I am more than willing to help you with any problems you had - I wrote the tutorial after all. (by the way, I appreciate any comments you might have.)

-[Unknown]

Miyuki-chan

The server program that I used was something called EasyPHP, but I guess that really doesn't have what it takes, so I'll try your method [unknown] and see if that will do the trick. I'm pretty good at following directions, so I should be able to set up the server. Hopefully I won't have to keep coming back and asking for help all the time. You guys are really busy and I don't want to be bothersome.

BTW, I did find a couple of themes, the red and blue ones so I'll try those too. Even if I don't like them, at least my members will be able to use them if they want to. ^_^

Tomer

Quote from: Miyuki-chan on May 08, 2004, 09:39:08 PM
And for number 4, I don't know anyone that is able to make a theme for me.

Please check this link.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=9267.0

Miyuki-chan

I'll have to think about that one, but thanks for the offer. ^_^

I was able to get the red theme to work, but not the blue one, but that's okay for now. My members think it's cool. ^_^

Setting up the server is really making my head hurt .. it might take a while ..

Advertisement: