Multiple posting names for rp room

Started by skeletonkiss, September 03, 2006, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeletonkiss

Okay so I'm not sure how to articulate what I want here.

Check out this post to see if you can get an idea of what I need: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=109666

Basically, I run a roleplaying site, and host a board for a friend's rp room as well. What we need is a way for our members to have a main account, and then one account per character. Since you cannot register more than one account with the same email address, and I am not going to insist that everyone go and get 4-5 email addys apiece, I'm trying to find another solution.

I know I saw someone ask about something like this before.
Is there a mod that could make something like additional display names, that you could chose via a drop down box, when posting? Or anything along those lines? Basically you'd have your main name (like skeletonkiss) and then when you went to post, you could have a drop down with the names of your characters, which you'd add beforehand (no clue how, maybe an extra field in your profile settings).

Basically, ANY way that allows people to post under their characters names, without logging out and posting as a guest or having to use a new email and register seperately, would be helpful.

I have no idea if this is possible, and frankly I'm pretty ignorant of how these things work. But I'd appreciate any info/help.

[Neutrality]

Actually - this was my question too, so I'll elaborate.

On the SMF forums, each user gets one account, per IP address.

I tried using a different Email account, because I have like 6 - and it denied me because only one is allowed per IP.

How can I bypass this - because we're on a Role Play board also. Is there a radio or check box that needs to be switched or editted code?

jacortina

Quote from: [Neutrality] on September 03, 2006, 08:10:56 PM
Actually - this was my question too, so I'll elaborate.

On the SMF forums, each user gets one account, per IP address.

I tried using a different Email account, because I have like 6 - and it denied me because only one is allowed per IP.

How can I bypass this - because we're on a Role Play board also. Is there a radio or check box that needs to be switched or editted code?

Well, I log into my (1.1 RC2) forum under a number of different userID's from the same PC on a regular basis. They each have different email addresses, but they log in from the same IP address.

In fact the action index.php?action=trackip;searchip=###.###.###.### has a section which displays "Members from IP" (hardly necessary if only a single member were allowed).

But what's being asked for is NOT just posting under a different displayed name, is it? Especially in an RP setting, you'll want to have pretty much complete profiles for each character. A given player's characters might be in different castes/classes (membergroups). Separate PM processing for each will also be desired (or at least some extra tracking of which character the PM was sent TO so you could manually choose who to reply FROM and hope not to forget to do it).

[Neutrality]

~nods~

I understand that.

Yes - I can change the Display name.

Yes - I tried using a different Email for a new ScreenName.
No - It didn't work.

Example:

I want 3 SN's:

Jeff - for spamming

[A]egiS - for Role Play (character 1)

Neutrality - for Role Play (character 2)

I like to have seperate SN's for all my characters and seperate them for new Avatars, Sigs, and Character Sheets. However - it knows my IP and wont allow me to make another one.

jacortina

Then I think that board has been modded for that. I don't believe it's part of the standard package.

Indeed, if you wanted to run a test forum locally, it would make it impossible to actually test using multiple users (as you would ALWAYS be logging on from the local IP address).

jacortina

Are you sure the language wasn't:

'Sorry, but you're not allowed to register multiple accounts at the same time from the same computer.'

The operative words there are "at the same time". No multiple registrations during a single session.

[Neutrality]

I'm not responding to that.
You're obviously stupid or not reading.

jacortina

Quote from: [Neutrality] on September 03, 2006, 11:03:53 PM

Well, I'm not the one who can't seem to operate a forum in ways that others have no problem with.

jacortina2

Quote from: jacortina on September 03, 2006, 11:08:23 PM
Quote from: [Neutrality] on September 03, 2006, 11:03:53 PM

Well, I'm not the one who can't seem to operate a forum in ways that others have no problem with.

Hmmm.... Interesting.

[Neutrality]

1. I'm doing it for a friend.
2. Not my forum - he's just too busy.
3. It's a SIMPLE QUESTION -

How do you turn of the IP registration for User SN's.

jacortina2

Quote from: [Neutrality] on September 03, 2006, 11:12:38 PM
1. I'm doing it for a friend.
2. Not my forum - he's just too busy.
3. It's a SIMPLE QUESTION -

How do you turn of the IP registration for User SN's.

It's not part of the standard setup, AFAIK. I said that a couple of times, now.

You need to find out what was done, what hack/mod was put in place, to make it that way.

skeletonkiss

Not to be rude, but [neutrality], you need to get your OWN thread. Please don't start an arguement on MINE.

What I need is a way to have more than one account on a single email, or a way to post from more than one name, on the same account. PM's and whatnot aren't really important, persay. Just to be able to either have multi accounts on one email, or have multi names on one account, would work.

jacortina

Quote from: skeletonkiss on September 04, 2006, 02:29:05 AM
What I need is a way to have more than one account on a single email, or a way to post from more than one name, on the same account. PM's and whatnot aren't really important, persay. Just to be able to either have multi accounts on one email, or have multi names on one account, would work.
But using the same email for multiple accounts would STILL force them to register separately for each of the accounts ON that email (separate registration is something you seemed to indicate you didn't want in the initial post).

If they're going to register each account separately anyway, then just consider using gishpuppy.com forwarding. Free, takes about 10 seconds to make a new address, all mail ends up in their one account, and after pasting the address in their registration they never have to think about that email address again.

Given that ability, I'm not sure you'll have much luck convincing any of the developers around here that it's a worthwhile project to change the way it currently works.

skeletonkiss

The registration process isn't the issue. It's the whole having to have email addy's forwarded thing. I just think that's kindof ridiculous, considering almost every other forum service out there allows it.

But I guess I've got no other options.

Harzem

You can register multiple members from the same IP. I have plenty of test forums in my localhost or on internet, and I have multiple registrations in all of them. What you should do to change your session is - just login and logout. Then you'll have a new session to register.

About multiple characters thing... I can create a mod for registering additional members for your main profile. And a link in your profile to switch. It is a matter of cookie settings. But I have no time for this mod now, because I'm working on 4 other mods.

Advertisement: