Error - The attachments upload directory is not writable.

Started by Nogard, September 17, 2006, 02:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nogard

Hi,

I changed the hosting for my forum and moved all files over. Now when a user tries to upload a avatar they are getting this error :"The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved. "

I went in and changed the attachments dir. to 777 to allow writing but still the error remains. Any other fix for this?

Thanks,
Nick

kegobeer

Did you remember to run repair_settings.php after the move?  Have you asked your new host if 777 is the correct permission for uploading files?  Did you try using your control panel application to change the permissions for that directory (sometimes FTP client permission changes don't stick and/or only apply to the main directory but not subdirectories and/or files)?
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf
Posting and you (Click "WATCH THIS MOVIE")

Nogard

Hi,

Thanks for your response. After the move the forum didn't look right so when I went into the admin it asked me to repair the forum so yes it ran something that repaired the forum and everything works great except my brother was trying to upload his own avatar and it gave him that error.

I am running this on my own dedicated server so I have full access to the write permissions. I changed the write permission in that folder and went back to check and it looks like it is still writable but I continue to get that error when I test it out for myself.

Maybe i should try reinstalling the forum again from scratch, if I do that can I still use the database I have setup? Curious if it will grab all the info out of that database.

Thanks,
Nick

kegobeer

Perhaps you need to chown everything?

Yes, you can reinstall.  However, let's run a test first.  Install another copy of SMF in a different directory.  Make sure you choose a different SMF table prefix so you don't accidentally overwrite your current SMF tables.  See if everything works, then report back with your results.
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf

Nogard

Hi, thanks yes I tried to install a new copy with a different table prefix. It installed great and their is no problem uploading an avatar.

Is there a way to import all my users and threads over to this new copy?

kegobeer

Nogard

Ok I did that hit save options and went back to the forum. It was messed up a bit had to reset the layout but even after I did that I still have the same issue.

kegobeer

That's odd.  Can you send me a PM with a link to your site, an admin login/password, and access to your cPanel and phpMyAdmin?

Nogard

Ok what I did was I put the repair php file into the new install I just made and ran it there, I selected my old database prefix and clicked save. (You may have meant for me to do that)

The old issue was fixed, though now I seem to be stuck on the default template. If I try to upload a different template I get no images from the template showing up.

Advertisement: