News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Page not found errors

Started by Andrew, May 25, 2004, 10:25:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

I'm getting page not found errors after every action (move topic, split topic, ban user, etc.)  I can hit refresh and I get a session time out.  The actions still work.  Any ideas what could be causing this?

[Unknown]

Is this still an issue?

It may be related to your host...

-[Unknown]

Andrew

I thought this was maybe just a quirk, but it turns out I only get the error on one of my home computers (the one with Windows 2000 gives me the error, the one with XP does not).  I've also been getting a couple emails from users with the same problem.

In addition to the 404 error, I get a session time out error upon refreshing the page.  Sometimes SMF shows a login page even though I'm already logged in.

Any ideas on how to fix this?  The problem seems to come and go, so I'm not really sure what's going on.

Andrew

I thought I'd revive this question.  The original problem 'went away' for a while and seems to have come back (users are telling me - I don't have the problem anymore).  I'm on a different server now from the original message.

I've been making some changes here and there to my setup, but nothing that I think would have an effect on this.

I was on the amazon site last night and seemed to get the exact same problem there - so hopefully this has nothing to do with my SMF - any ideas as to what it might be?  How to fix?

[Unknown]

Perhaps it has to do with a webproxy or something (I've seen that before..)?

What things do they get this message doing, specifically?  Does it take a while before they get them?

Are email notifications working?

-[Unknown]

Andrew

It's when they post a message.  It happens even after a short period of time, and so far the problem only occurs for people using IE.

Also, I don't know if it's related, but they're also getting logged out at random times.  I've been reading some threads on that...

[Unknown]

Can I see a phpinfo?

Are you using SMTP or sendmail?

-[Unknown]

Andrew

[Unknown]

Strange.  The most common cause of this is a problem with sending the notifications...

When did you upgrade to RC2?  After it was publicly released, or before? (the two versions are slightly different..)

-[Unknown]

Andrew

I think I used the pre-release.  I'll re-install.

By the way - this wouldn't have anything to do with Themes would it?  I made a minor change to my theme (Display.template.php) just before people started complaining.  I don't need all the files in the current theme directory right?  I'm using the defaults except for a few.  Seems to work nicely.

Andrew

Re-installed and re-upgraded, but now I'm getting this:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: db_debug_junk_temp() in /home/lawschoo/public_html/students/Sources/Load.php(1098) : eval()'d code on line 280

UPDATE: This part was a template error.  Thanks Owdy for helping me fix this part.

Original problem persists.

[Unknown]

Are you using database-driven sessions?  If not, could you enable them, please?

Is "Allow browsers to go back to cached pages" checked?

-[Unknown]

Andrew

Database driven sessions is already on.  Cached pages are not allowed (not checked).  Should I enable them maybe?

[Unknown]

It's worth a try.... and maybe try disabling database driven sessions, although I'd be a bit surprised if that did help.

-[Unknown]

Andrew

Users are still getting logged out.  If I use IE for a long time I can get logged out too.  I think I've even been logged out here.  It still only seems to happen with IE, maybe there's a setting in IE that can fix this?

I read a thread about php session length, could that be the problem?  Or probably not because there's no problem in other browers?

[Unknown]

Strange.  It's probably not session length, but... it could be server time, or something.

When it says "log in forever"... it's lying.  It actually logs you in for 10 years.  But, that should suffice, shouldn't it ;)?

Is it intermittent?  Does it usually happen every so often (like 30 days?) or is it very often (every time you restart your computer?)

Do you have any "internet cleanup" or "internet firewall" software?

-[Unknown]

Andrew

I've been able to replicate the problem (only with IE) without any firewall-type gadgets.  For me, it happens a couple times per day.  My users (who are much more active) say it's happening a couple times per hour.

Here's a new twist: I thought pehaps something was wrong with my custom theme files, so I put a couple of the users on the default theme.  They say that this helped a lot, but still didn't completely solve the problem.  One of them started getting the "page cannot be displayed" problem, but not the logout problem.  I can't think of anything I've done to the theme files (I've only changed index.template and Dispay.template) that would affect this though.  I do have some php driven ads in my theme and a sitemeter tracking cookie.

[Unknown]

Can you try using the default theme yourself, for a bit, and see if it solves it?

And you get similar errors here?

-[Unknown]

Andrew

I think I imaged errors on this site - I use a couple different computers and a couple different browsers - so I think I get logged out because I logged in with another computer or browser.

The default theme does seem to be solving the problem on my site, both for me and my test users.

[Unknown]

So that probably rules out the ads and sitemeter...

Does it change anything if you turn off queryless URLs, for a bit?  Do you have local or global cookies enabled?

Have you installed the "package manager fix"?

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: