News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Cookie or Login Problems

Started by [Unknown], May 28, 2004, 04:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[Unknown]

Just a warning to those of you having cookie problems with SMF.

There may be problems on certain servers.  These are older windows servers running IIS, and Apache servers running PHP in CGI mode instead of ISAPI.  It does not effect all servers of these types - if you have any more information as to what is causing it, we would be grateful to hear from you.

These problems can be resolved by switching PHP to ISAPI mode or upgrading your server software.  These are both highly recommended for both performance and security reasons.  However, in many cases you cannot do this as a customer getting hosting... but this is the best solution.

The next version of SMF (after Beta 5) will have an option to use a "META" refresh.  This option, if enabled, will solve the problem.  For those who have the problems right now... we're sorry and we are trying to work out the best solution.  You should still be able to log in though, as this only affects "always stay logged in."

If you have any questions or further issues please reply to this topic.

Thanks,
The Simple Machines Team

wysiwyg

These problems have be plaguing (SPL?) my forum since I upgraded...I tried asking the server guys to upgrade but no joy...

Any idea how long before beat 6 is available? Weeks or months?

Oldiesmann

It will probably be available for Charter Members sometime in the next month or so...
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

ROGUE-Master

I showed this topic to my host and he said he cannot do anything about the problem. I have been able to stay logged in for months then yesterday all of a sudden, it won't let me stay logged in! This is very annoying can anyone find any other solutions to this problem??

Killer Possum

Quote from: ROGUE-Master on June 06, 2004, 11:18:06 AM
I showed this topic to my host and he said he cannot do anything about the problem.
I hate hosts that don't care about there customers needs >:(

That's why it's good to be with Lewis Media ;D

ROGUE-Master

The server is linux based with apache and has all the requirements for smf.... What else is wrong?

[Unknown]

Probably it is using CGI.  It can cause problems, usually with older versions of Apache.  If you're host can't resolve this that means you need one that can.

How would you feel if you went to your car mechanic, and he said he couldn't fix your alternator, when you know it can be fixed?  Wouldn't you go to a mechanic who would fix your alternator?  Dare I say, one who has the experience and ability to?

-[Unknown]

ROGUE-Master

No its not! The problem just started to occur for me 2 days ago!! (And he didnt upgrade anything on the server at that time.)

Oldiesmann

Create a file with:

<?php
phpinfo
();
?>

and call it phpinfo.php. Upload this file to your server, chmod it to 755 and then post a link to it in this thread.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

netwirejohn

Here you go: hxxp:www.netwire-solutions.com/phpinfo.php [nonactive]

[Unknown]

Quote from: netwirejohn on June 07, 2004, 04:07:47 PM
Here you go: http://www.netwire-solutions.com/phpinfo.php

That is using Apache 2 and ISAPI mode.  Are you having login problems?

-[Unknown]

ROGUE-Master

Yes! Thats my host!!! We do have login problems.. you want to try yourself??

http://forums.clanrogue.net

[Unknown]

Yes, your server is having difficulty setting cookies.... if that is your same hosting, it should not be causing problems.  Perhaps it's another Apache 2 setting I am not aware of.

-[Unknown]

ROGUE-Master

It only started happening for me 2 days ago. But other users of my forum complained that it happens to them too. Yes that is my hosting. It must be something you are not aware of.

netwirejohn

Hehe... So I am not bad. I haven't found a solution either.

the13th

would a meta refresh in the index.template.php fix the problem?
Because the bug or whatever you want call it is very annoying...

~13~

ROGUE-Master

Yes Unknown. Tell us what to do so we can fix it so we don't have to wait 2 months for next version of SMF to come out.

[Unknown]

Easiest solution is to get a good enough host that it's not a problem :P.  Nagging is not going to get you anywhere.

-[Unknown]

ROGUE-Master

My host is perfect Unknown. He solves any issue I have the instant I message him and is very knowledgeable about what he does. Don't blame a flaw in SMF on my host. :P

James Bone

Quote from: ROGUE-Master on June 09, 2004, 11:57:45 AM
My host is perfect Unknown. He solves any issue I have the instant I message him and is very knowledgeable about what he does. Don't blame a flaw in SMF on my host. :P

Run boy, run! ;D

Advertisement: