News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Need help to remove "Welcome Guest, please login or register" Text

Started by 1web, September 29, 2006, 11:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1web

I'm trying to clean up our login page on our private forum to prevent non-members from continually trying to register.  Does anyone know where the "Welcome Guest, please login or register" text resides? I'd like to change it to say "Welcome Members, please login".

I imagine we'll still have some who'll click the "Register" button... which I wouldn't mind deleting entirely since all our members are added directly rather than through member registration.  Is there a way to delete/hide the "Register" button?

As an aside, I wish we had a "Members" button at the top. We'd use it a lot, and it would be more convenient than having to go to the main index and scroll down to the Members link.

jerm

Index.english.php , look for: $txt['welcome_guest']

To hide the register button, look in index.template.php.

You can also disable registration so nobody can register.

1web

Index.english.php , look for: $txt['welcome_guest']

I saw that, but usually there's the actual text written somewhere into the script that would say 'Welcome Guest' and so forth. It's been a long time since I've played with scripts, but I'm pretty sure the 'welcome_guest' is just calling for the text from another location.

The login page shows in the source code like this:

Welcome, <b>Guest</b>. Please <a href="http://stampedemrc.com/members/forum/index.php?action=login">login</a> or <a href="http://stampedemrc.com/members/forum/index.php?action=register">register</a>.<br />

Surely that's part of SOME page, but so far I haven't been able to locate it. :) 

jerm

Quote$txt['welcome_guest'] = 'Welcome, <b>' . $txt[28] . '</b>. Please <a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=login">login</a> or <a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=register">register</a>.';
txt[28] = guest
now read it again

1web

Okay, I found where the Guest and so forth was called out, and revised "Guest" to "Member"... then when I uploaded it, the page added a huge notice across the bottom:

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!

jerm

Try re-uploading the file.

Also, copy paste the changes you made.

Advertisement: