How come there's not extra smiley's mod?

Started by DAB Empire, October 11, 2006, 12:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAB Empire

There used to be one with YaBB.  I've checked the mods and don't see one.  Am I missing it?  If not, this would be a valuable add-on.  Where the little box shows up to the side where you can click to view more smileys and then click them and the JS loads their code to the posting box.  I.E.  :banana:

jacortina

Depending on your version, you don't need a mod. The 1.1RC2/3 series allows you to add all the smileys you want through Admin and then lets you say whether to put each one on the form or in a popup.

DAB Empire

Really?  Where do I do that?  I have RC3.  I went into the Smileys and Message Icons, but do not see how to add another set of smileys in a popup and still have the default set.

jacortina

Admin -> Forum/Smileys and Message Icons -> <Menu Bar> Edit Smileys:

Column in center notes where the smiley should appear Hidden/Post Form/Popup.

Use checkboxes on the right to select the smileys to go on the popup and use the dropdown at the bottom of the page to make the change.

DAB Empire

Weird.  Why would I not have that option?  Do you have to enable it somewhere first?  I do not have an "Edit Smileys" link.  I only have "Smiley Sets" and "Settings".

winrules

In the settings you have to enable Customized Smileys (or maybe advanced).

winrules
SMF Developer

My Mods
Please do not PM me for support.

MrFurious

I've found that adding additional smileys or custom sets to be a royal pain, so much so that I've given up on it.  The settings are overly complicated as you need to check this here, then go there and check that, now come back over here and check this...and it still wouldn't work.  The new smileys or set would show up on the list, but no icon was generated and the smileys wouldn't appear when you opened up the smiley box when making a post.  Smileys were all uploaded (and in their own directory in the case of the custom set), so I don't know what the deal was. 

Turned out to be more of a hassle and headache than I thought it was worth.

jacortina

Quote from: EliteRides on October 12, 2006, 04:24:35 PM
Weird.  Why would I not have that option?  Do you have to enable it somewhere first?  I do not have an "Edit Smileys" link.  I only have "Smiley Sets" and "Settings".
'Enable customized smileys' in the Settings Tab. As that option clearly states: "(otherwise, the default smileys will be used.)"; in other words, no options for anything else are shown.

Quote from: MrFurious on October 12, 2006, 04:45:47 PM
I've found that adding additional smileys or custom sets to be a royal pain, so much so that I've given up on it.  The settings are overly complicated as you need to check this here, then go there and check that, now come back over here and check this...and it still wouldn't work.  The new smileys or set would show up on the list, but no icon was generated and the smileys wouldn't appear when you opened up the smiley box when making a post.  Smileys were all uploaded (and in their own directory in the case of the custom set), so I don't know what the deal was. 

Turned out to be more of a hassle and headache than I thought it was worth.

I haven't had much trouble with it. Load up a set, tell the software to use them and where to put them. But then, I haven't messed with having multiple sets and allowing users to choose.

DAB Empire

K, got it all figured out now.  Thanks.

Question though.  How come I would be getting this error:

QuoteThe following smiley directories are not writable: default, classic

The directories are writable.  They are both 777 while uploading these.  I'm very familiar with permissions.  Not sure why this error is coming up unless it's trying to load them to another directory other than Smileys???

jacortina

Beats me. That can only be generated by this biy of code from Sources/ManageSmileys.php:

// If we are uploading - check all the smiley sets are writable!
if ($_POST['method'] != 'existing')
{
$writeErrors = array();
foreach ($context['smiley_sets'] as $set)
{
if (!is_writable($context['smileys_dir'] . '/' . $set['path']))
$writeErrors[] = $set['path'];
}
if (!empty($writeErrors))
fatal_error($txt['smileys_upload_error_notwritable'] . ' ' . implode(', ', $writeErrors));
}

NEMINI

Quote from: EliteRides on October 12, 2006, 05:29:01 PM
K, got it all figured out now.  Thanks.

Question though.  How come I would be getting this error:

QuoteThe following smiley directories are not writable: default, classic

The directories are writable.  They are both 777 while uploading these.  I'm very familiar with permissions.  Not sure why this error is coming up unless it's trying to load them to another directory other than Smileys???

Try 755. Secure hosts won't allow 777 :)
signatures are boring.

DAB Empire

Advertisement: