Moving SMF from a shared linux host to a dedicated windows box

Started by Marcus J, October 15, 2006, 04:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcus J

SMF Version: SMF 1.1 RC3
Hi all,

First off let me say that I absolutely love SMF. ;)

I currently run SMF on a shared Linux centOS server.  I am purchasing a dedicated machine, that is running Windows.net server 2003.

I am curious about how difficult it will be to move from a linux host to windows.  What sort of special steps will I need to take?  And what roadblocks might I encounter?

I did search the site for answers, but was unable to find what I needed.  Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

-Marcus

xtremecruiser

Ok, I am a MCSE and let me just say stay with a Nic box.
I ran both yabbse and SMF on a Windows 2K server had so many issues, it can be done but its not easy or pretty

青山 素子

SMF can be run on Windows, but you'll save your sanity if you stick on Unix. Windows hosting really is best for when you need ASP or ASP.net applications.

Should you choose to go through with this, some tips to help SMF run properly:

• Windows uses different file permissions. Instead of setting 777 on your files over FTP you will need to give the IUSR_* user read and write access to the directories and files mentioned. If you choose to install mods and you are prompted that the permissions are not set, you will need to manually set the permissions (the ftp form will be useless).
  • IIS6 doesn't mix with PHP in CGI mode very well. You will want to install PHP as an ISAPI filter. Note this sometimes causes IIS to crash on heavy loads with PHP.
  • Apache will run on Windows, but I don't personally know of any sites doing this for production work. Regardless, the permission issues still exist.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Marcus J

Thank you for the responses.  I am prompted to move to a windows box for one reason.  My site is a Sim gaming site.  We need the dedicated to host games with, and the games we play don't support Linux.  >:(  I really don't want to pay for the site to be on a shared box.  I use the tiny portal to manage downloads, and it's all been working so well. I'm devastated to hear this might be a bad move.

I didn't see a support forum here for hosting SMF on windows... is there one?  Also, I am fairly new to all of this, and will probably go nuts trying to move the forum.  Is there a place to get (Payed) help for moving into a windows environment?

Thanks again,

-Marcus

vbgamer45

I have SMF running on a multiple windows servers.
The main thing you really need to do after you move over the database and files is adjust the file paths by running the repair settings file and it will run fine.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Oldiesmann

The package manager doesn't usually work very well on Windows either - everytime you go to install or uninstall a package, you'll get the annoying "You cannot install packages because the Packages directory or the files in it are not writable" message. This is because SMF deletes the "temp" directory and tries to recreate it and chmod it to 777. However, because Windows doesn't do chmod, SMF is unable to automatically make that directory writable, so you'll have to re-create it yourself and change permissions.

Also, if you're using Apache on Windows (which I highly recommend), you will need to set permissions for "Everyone" and not the "IUSR_{computer_name}" user.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

青山 素子

Oldiesmann, correct. Despite the warnings some might give (including me), I highly recommend seeing about running Apache 2.0 on the server, PHP behaves much much better that way.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Marcus J

I just purchased the server today...

I'll move the forum in a week or two when I feel "ready".  It's got me stressed thinking about moving it, but I feel better now after the last couple posts.  I'm sure you'll see me around.  I'll let you all know how it goes.  I'm new to most of this so if I can do it... then most will be able to.

It would be nice to have a board or at very least a thread dedicated to running SMF on windows.  I love SMF, and never want to use anything else.  ;)

-Marcus

xtremecruiser

Quote from: Mookey on October 17, 2006, 07:06:33 PM
I just purchased the server today...

I'll move the forum in a week or two when I feel "ready".  It's got me stressed thinking about moving it, but I feel better now after the last couple posts.  I'm sure you'll see me around.  I'll let you all know how it goes.  I'm new to most of this so if I can do it... then most will be able to.

It would be nice to have a board or at very least a thread dedicated to running SMF on windows.  I love SMF, and never want to use anything else.  ;)

-Marcus

It's already posted in this thread.  I got a headache remembering my days on a 2k server.

Advertisement: