News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Extra profile field?

Started by Deb, November 08, 2006, 01:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deb

Hello,

does anyone know how to add a new field for the profile.

I know there is a nice hack for this BUT want I want is that the data for this field also will be stored in the DB for members, NOT in the THEME... for me it sounds wrong because everything else retgarding the members are stored there.

Need a hack to add an extra field for the members REAL name, this because I will use SMF in a school enviroment and users shouldn't "hide" behind an ALIAS.

This hack must work when a new member register and also editable from admincenter. Users after register willo not be able to change the name afterwords from their PROFILE.

I would be very grateful if I someone could help me with this YESTERDAY  ;D
Thank you from Deb :)

rockinaway

Have I helped you? Then please join AdminFuel - The forum for forum administrators.

If you need help managing your forum, or maybe launching it, then visit us and view the quality articles, downloads and posts.

Deb

Thanks for the answer.

But that hack stores everything in THEME instead of the MEMBERS in the DB, there everything else regarding the member are stored.
Thank you from Deb :)

winrules

What is wrong about storing data in the themes table? I know the themes table doesn't really make sense, but there is a reason for not storing it in the members table. The members table use columns for every profile field. If a mod were to make custom profile fields that were stored in the members table, that would mean that the columns would have to be edited on the fly, which is a very bad idea. If they weren't stored in the themes table a new table would have to be created.

winrules
SMF Developer

My Mods
Please do not PM me for support.

Advertisement: