News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SEO: Duplicate Content Preventer

Started by Aaron, November 09, 2006, 01:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron

Link to Mod
Rate this Mod

This mod will tell robots not to index topics that are being accessed with .msg, prev_next, ;all, or by printing the topic (?action=printpage), by adding <meta name="robots" content="noindex" /> to these pages.

Note: this mod requires a modification in index.template.php. It changes only the default theme's index.template.php, so you'll have to apply the changes manually in any custom theme!

Niteblade

I installed the mod, but when I do a 'view source' on a "print page," I do not see the '<meta name="robots" content="noindex" />'

Granted, I'm not using the default theme, per se, but the custom theme that I am using was copied into the Themes/default/ directory. In essence, I overwrote the default theme that ships with SMF with the custom theme.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
<title>Print Page - For members: A photo gallery is installed.</title>
<style type="text/css">
body
{
color: black;
background-color: white;
}
body, td, .normaltext
{
font-family: Verdana, arial, helvetica, serif;
font-size: small;
}
*, a:link, a:visited, a:hover, a:active
{
color: black !important;
}
table
{
empty-cells: show;
}
.code
{
font-size: x-small;
font-family: monospace;
border: 1px solid black;
margin: 1px;
padding: 1px;
}
.quote
{
border: 1px solid black;
margin: 1px;
padding: 1px;
}
.smalltext, .quoteheader, .codeheader
{
}
.largetext
{
font-size: large;
}
hr
{
height: 1px;
border: 0;
color: black;
background-color: black;
}
</style>
</head>
<body>
<h1 class="largetext">Midessa</h1>

<h2 class="normaltext">Forum happenings => Feature announcements => Topic started by: Nite on October 07, 2006, 03:30:21 PM</h2>

<table width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0">
<tr>
<td><!--Headers--><div align="center">
affiliate blog

vbgamer45

You will need to modify the custom theme as well. Open the package and find .xml files the change is pretty easy to do.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Dannii

You should never overwrite the default theme.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Niteblade

Quote from: eldʌkaː on November 10, 2006, 09:49:20 PM
You should never overwrite the default theme.

Ya.

But you know, there are so many modifications that are made just for the default theme. And adding numerous modifications to any custom theme is troublesome. To make it less troublesome, I made my custom theme my new default theme. Not all of the actual default theme files were overwritten -- just the ones that the custom theme needed to use in order to differentiate it from the real default.
affiliate blog

Niteblade

As a side note, the package installed without any errors. And when I open the two modified files, I can see that the code was successfully added.
affiliate blog

vbgamer45

Hmm, it seems to work on the other pages just not the print page on your site
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

diegolyanky

Aäron :

You are a genius ... It's a great idea, ... As you know, the robots can turn your board very slow for indexing all the board ... Today, Google's bot was indexed my board and I didn't notate that ...

I checked the code on one of the topics and in the source code it's the intruction / noindex ...

Thanks guy ! ...  ;)
SMF ... SimpleMachines ... Simple, but complete if you want it ;)

udeze

This is truly a great mod, a very powerful SEO tool  :)
I love Everything SMF does

keith021773

How is this working with google?   Does it help the google spider index your site better?  And have you noticed a better listing in google?

winrules

It stops Google from indexing some duplicate pages. Many times have duplicate content can decrease page rank.

Also this is a default feature on 1.1 final.

winrules
SMF Developer

My Mods
Please do not PM me for support.

Jiveturkey

When you say it's a default in 1.1 final does that mean that you don't need to install the mod?

I tried to install it but it says that the file is corrupted.

vbgamer45

Quote from: Jiveturkey on December 02, 2006, 09:25:00 PM
When you say it's a default in 1.1 final does that mean that you don't need to install the mod?

I tried to install it but it says that the file is corrupted.
If you have SMF 1.1 you do not need to install this mod since it is built into this release.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

golfhos

Thank you very much for this mod!

I know that this change is included in version 1.1, but I've made a lot of customizations to my RC 3 installation and it's going to take me a while to upgrade.  But the SEO duplicate content fix was the the 1.1 change that I was most interested in.

I made the change last week, and I've seen some nice increases in the number of pages being indexed by Google since then.

I also ran into the issue of my print page not getting modified, but it wasn't a big deal to make the change manually to my Printpage.template.

hxxp:www.golfhos.com/ [nonactive]

simonm

QuoteI also ran into the issue of my print page not getting modified, but it wasn't a big deal to make the change manually to my Printpage.template.

How do I change the Printpage.template manually to prevent robots from indexing it?

Rick_M

I'm using 1.1.1 and I couldn't find a way to block duplicate content already built into the software.  If there is an admin setting, can someone point me to the right spot?

I went ahead and installed the mod and it works great, except I found that duplicate content still shows up on the printpage and on reply pages - which google has indexed.

I've just gone ahead and url's with those terms in it with my robots.txt file.  I'm honestly not sure which is better for SEO (robots.txt vs meta), but I am guessing that duplicate content is a big reason why many smf forums don't get ranked well by Google.  I guess I'll see how Google likes my smf forum.  I'm pretty knowledgable on SEO and I've just switched over from xoops to smf.  I love the forum software, but if it doesn't get good search engine traffic, it isn't worth much.

Rick_M

Okay - finding more issues with duplicate content that Google is picking up, and possibly causing ranking problems for the forum.

Google is indexing the recent posts page linked to from the front page - and the links on that page go to the specific messages, which I don't want indexed.  I'd want the thread to get indexed, not the specific sub-posts.

Google is also indexing the recent posts under each user ID, but again, it is linking to the specific sub-post message, not the thread.

Finally - on the front page, I'd much rather have the links to the most recent threads that had activity, instead of the specific sub-post.

Any help in addressing these issues is appreciated.

I can't find any options built into 1.1.1 to prevent Google from spidering these duplicate content pages and indexing them.

bluegray

Looks like this mod is now part of SMF 1.1.1
There are no options to disable/enable it. But you can check the source of your webpage to see if there is a ' <meta name="robots" content="noindex" /> ' in the header section.

Also remember that google might still have some old pages in it's cache and will follow urls from there, unless you block it in your robots.txt file.

Aaron

Quote from: bluegray on February 09, 2007, 09:30:52 AM
Looks like this mod is now part of SMF 1.1.1

It is indeed an integrated part of SMF 1.1.1. :)

Rick_M

If this is integrated, I was not able to tell.  1.1.1 is the first versoin I installed, and I had also upgraded to 1.1.2 when it became available.

The pages that were getting indexed by google included none of the main forum threads (even after I installed and submitted a google sitemap), but instead the posts with urls including:

/index.php?action=post;topic=50.11

and

/index.php?action=recent;start=20

and

/index.php?action=post;topic=6.0;num_replies=2

and even on the simplemachines.org website, the main URL for posts are not indexed, but instead there are url's like:

/index.php?topic=159487.msg1017701;topicseen

I finally gave up after 6 weeks - I don't know what it is about the URL structure that Google dislikes, but there is something there.  I switched over to bbPress (because phpBB site was down) and within a week, I have all of my threads indexed as they should be, with many of the threads ranking first for their title. 

My site had been established using xoops in the past, but I didn't need the whole content management - just a forum.  I like SMF the best for usability and features, but if it doesn't get indexed properly, there won't be any traffic. 

If someone has an example of a site that runs SMF that has gotten spidered and indexed well, as well as gets top rankings for the titles of the posts, I'd love to take a look at it.

Don't get me wrong - I love the software.  Not getting indexed properly is a deal-breaker for me though.

Advertisement: