News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Spell Check Custom Words

Started by SMF Customization Team, November 11, 2006, 02:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coyote Keith

I recently installed this mod on 2.0 RC4. It installed without error but when I click the Add button on new words, it does not remember them next time. Any thoughts on this? Where are the custom words stored?

Thanks,

Spuds

It should be saving them in a file named custom_words in your forum root directory.  The first time it runs if the custom spellings file doesn't exist, PHP will attempt to create it.   PHP will need the relevant permissions to create a file in this directory.  You might try to create a blank file with 755 permissions and see if that helps.

Coyote Keith

That fixed my issue. Thank You!

steve911

I too installed this potentially useful MOD but my problem is that only the administrator gets to see the ADD button - anyone any ideas?

Spuds

It should be an assignable permission so you can give it to moderators or even regular members.   Admin->permissions->choose your group->modify and look for a add words to custom dictionary or the like, can't remember what its called and I don't have it installed where I am right now.

jacbier

Quote from: Spuds on June 08, 2011, 06:03:37 PM
It should be saving them in a file named custom_words in your forum root directory.  The first time it runs if the custom spellings file doesn't exist, PHP will attempt to create it.   PHP will need the relevant permissions to create a file in this directory.  You might try to create a blank file with 755 permissions and see if that helps.

Don't work for me.

Spuds

QuoteDon't work for me.
Must be something with your host or how they have pspell configured as this only uses functions available in pspell to create the custom dictionary.

You can uninstall, then set emulation to 2.0 RC3 and re-install.  This will install the older version of the mod which required you to enter a comma separated list of custom words in the admin panel.  Not as user friendly but will work on all systems, assuming spell checking works to begin with.

blakilox

Hi, This mod has died for me in SMF 2.0.4
I have created a custom_words file in my site root, chmod it 777, it does not put any custom words in there

there was a suggestion to chmod 755 therefore is this custom_words a directory not a file?? I tried making that directory then tried creating a file in there called en
(The code looks like it wants /custom_words/en something or other)

I also tried removing the mod, setting the emulation to a prior version as suggested, and re-installing the mod, though the mod just installed same as before

I really like this mod, Surely everybody uses this one? it is a cool little mod, for Niche Topics you really need this one, you need it on this forum, haha,
is it broken for others?

Thank you for any suggestions, Garry

marcie3

Hi, I installed the mod on our site and I see the ADD button. I'm sorry if this is obvious but I'm not sure where  you are supposed to add the new word. Do you first type it in your message and have it come up in the big text box in the Spell Check window (I can't type directly into that part of the window) or do you type it in the Change TO box? I'm also not seeing the custom_words file.

Another question: Would this mod work with words that have macrons?  A macron (/ˈmækrɒn, ˈmeɪ-/) is a diacritical mark, a straight bar (¯) placed above a letter, usually a vowel.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement: