News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Pretty URLs

Started by Dannii, November 14, 2006, 08:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niteblade

The fact that you're taking the time to release such a useful modification for v1.1 more than makes up for any bugs. Thanks !!! This will be an awesome mod !!
affiliate blog

SEO

Sorry i been away a bit and neglected the smfseo forum and project.

Have you taken over the smfseo project from chris now eldacar?
PLay Online Poker and chat in our Poker Forum

Dannii

Nope, this is all my own work. Completely different method too, just to ensure there can't be any problems with copyright issues :)
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Niteblade

affiliate blog

Dannii

Yes i've seen it, and I don't want to have the topic numbers in my forum so I'll keep developing mine ;)
Well, topic numbers are used for duplicate titles, but that's all.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Dannii

I've found the solution to the bug - I had actually already made the change required in my testing forum, and it was in the mod there, but it wasn't on my local computer. Prehaps I clicked undo before saving accidentally? Something silly like that must have happened :P

Roph

Say if I installed this, would the hundreds of links already posted by users on my forum to other topics and posts all still work?

When the forum went from no SEO --> SMF's default built in SEO, it broke all of the internal links, which I'd rather not do to my users again.

Panzer-

QuoteWhen the forum went from no SEO --> SMF's default built in SEO, it broke all of the internal links, which I'd rather not do to my users again.

Do you have a Microsoft host?

Great mod man, i cant wait to use it when it gets more stable. Does it conflict with the built in "pretty URLS" ?

Dannii

Silverline, the old links would still work. At the moment it doesn't redirect from standard to pretty urls, but it will later. In that case it will still work. I might even be able to get a file up to do a search and replace through the posts.

Panzer, you couldn't use both at once, although at the moment it doesn't touch anything that produces the built in SEO friendly URLs. I've never used those so I wouldn't know what would happen if you tried to use both.

Dannii

I've released version 0.2, get it at http://code.google.com/p/prettyurls/downloads/list
There are a few small bugfixes, but the major change is that the topic urls have been replaced in SSI.php, News.php and Recent.php with pretty URLs :) (which means the unread posts page will work) I think I've replaced all the topic and board urls in the templates which I'd call major.. I still plan to replace the others though, and also to put a filter on at the end to replace any that get missed.

allumius

Sorry but my english is very bad

Ii've smf1.1.1+tinyportal0.97+ancient & rusted theme

i install:
Pretty URLs - Extention: none 0.2 
Pretty URLs - Base 0.2 

I rename de example..htaccess to ..htaccess

but my forun return this error:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /politica/0/ on this server.

if i want to entry in politica forum
if i want to entry in musica forum:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /musica/0/ on this server.

Help me please

Roph

If your forum is in a subfolder, you'll need to edit the htaccess file (an example is included inside the file).

I tried installing this mod myself (on a test forum on my own (windows) machine), though I just get internal server errors, so, hmm.

Dannii

QuoteI rename de example..htaccess to ..htaccess
There should only be one dot. It should be named exactly .htaccess
Also, this will only work on apache servers with mod rewrite enabled.

allumius

Quote from: Silverline on December 26, 2006, 07:38:10 AM
If your forum is in a subfolder, you'll need to edit the htaccess file (an example is included inside the file).

I tried installing this mod myself (on a test forum on my own (windows) machine), though I just get internal server errors, so, hmm.

my forum is www.losamigotes.org and is not in a subfolder (you can see)

Quote from: eldʌkaː on December 26, 2006, 07:45:53 AM
QuoteI rename de example..htaccess to ..htaccess
There should only be one dot. It should be named exactly .htaccess
Also, this will only work on apache servers with mod rewrite enabled.

Sorry, the double dot. is an error to write. I rename .htaccess
where can i see if my server is apache server?
where can i download de mod rewrite?

Dannii

A phpinfo will tell you what server you're on, and whether you have the mod installed. If you make it and then post a link to it here I can tell you
http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=479.0

allumius

I send you one private mensage

Dannii

Your server is running Apache, but as it's running as CGI, I can't tell whether or not it has mod_rewrite. You'll have to ask your host if they support it, unfortunately it's not something you can install for yourself if they don't.

Tarek

i am receiving an error 404 page not found .
do i have to download any .htacess file ?

Dannii

There is one included. You will have to rename it from example.htaccess to .htaccess though.

All, I've found a small bug. If you make a new board, you'll get an error, because I didn't include the source file needed. If you get the error, you can fix it by searching for this:
// Update the pretty board URLsAdd after:require_once($sourcedir . '/Subs-PrettyUrls.php');

Tarek

Ok , i have renamed the .htaccess file and it is working now :)

thank you .

i got an idea ,
why don't you add more option in admin area ...
i have 3 letter domain i am using as a forum .
so if there is an option to view the topic as :
forumurl/t15.htm
or
forumurl/b5.htm

so it will be better to keep the short link style :)

Advertisement: