Multiple Display Names?

Started by jonasrafe, December 02, 2006, 11:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonasrafe

I've done a search for this, and have found that it's a feature apparently several people want.  For those of us who operate an rpg forum, it would be nice to have a drop-down list of display names for each profile.

For example, Bob has two characters, CharacterA and CharacterB.  I'm looking for a feature that would allow him to post as Bob in a discussion forum, but as CharacterA in another forum.

I haven't been able to find any information about this type of modification besides several people asking about it.  Is this possible?  If it isn't and I missed that somewhere, my apologies.

jonasrafe

-bump-

Could someone let me know if this is even possible?  If it's a matter of not enough interest for such a mod, I understand.  If it's a difficult hack, I can understand that too.

But I would like to know if I'm wasting my time looking for a solution.  If it can be done, then perhaps I will look into trying my hand at some coding myself.  I'd prefer to avoid wasting my time on some Quixotic project that will never see the light of day because it's impossible, though.

niko

Yes it would be. I don't have access to code right now but there's field posterName on messages table which will be used for guest but is also stored for members.

So you need add dropdown to select posterName which will be used and store it for members also. Edit query so it will use always posterName from messages table and never from members table
Websites: Madjoki || (2 links retracted by team, links out of date and taken over.)
Mods: SMF Arcade, Related topics, SMF Project Tools, Post History

WIP Mods: Bittorrent Tracker || SMF Wiki

jonasrafe

Thanks for the information!  I'm off to stare at some code...  :)

Edit: tried to update without double posting

jonasrafe

Ok, it seems I may be in over my head here.  I'm willing to learn how to do this, but I'm not sure where to start.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

vbgamer45

You would need to create another database column in the members table like realName2 to be used to display the second name of the person.  Then you have to configure the message post to show list of users they have.

You would also need to do some checking to make sure the names are not being used by other people.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

KGIII

Hmm... It ate my post... I was saying that the person in front of this post was a guru and I'm not but that you might narrow down your "staring" by looking here:

Character Names and Alts:
http://mods.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=282

That was something that I seemed to recall but haven't ever tried. YMMV of course but I'd start there and I'd also poke that vbgamer45 when you get stuck because he really knows what he's doing. (Which is a head above me. I'm pretty sure I'm only learning a wee bit.)

My PC Support Forum
Please ask in-thread before PMing
                   SMF Help
                   Visit My Blog

How can we improve the support process?:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=163533.0

SMF vs. Godzilla? Who do you think will win?

jonasrafe

Ok, this is all starting to make a bit more sense now.  I might actually be able to do this... thanks for all the help!

KGIII

There you go. Take that vbgamer's advice, see how the MOD works, and see if you can do it on your own. You can, I'm sure of it. What I would PERSONALLY recommend is that you take the time to test and build on a test site. I am NOT rolling out one yet but in the future that may be an idea where it simply re-installs itself every x-amount of hours. For now? If you need a test-bed just gimme a yell. I can offer one for a few hours or days, why not? It is the holiday season.

My PC Support Forum
Please ask in-thread before PMing
                   SMF Help
                   Visit My Blog

How can we improve the support process?:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=163533.0

SMF vs. Godzilla? Who do you think will win?

jonasrafe

I appreciate the offer, but I've already set up a test site.  I've installed the mod today, and will start working on this tomorrow.

Advertisement: