News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Hidden links embedded in signatures and in posts ...

Started by Niteblade, December 12, 2006, 11:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niteblade

By making the font size zero, a person can embed many, many links ... and no one would be able to tell unless they looked at the page's source.

**** LOOK AFTER THIS IN THE PAGE'S SOURCE ****
[size=0pt]SMFoogle : You can't see this !!! Spiders can !!!
SMFoogle : You can't see this !!! Spiders can !!!
Yeah, that's a shameless plug for the directory, but hey ... you know ...
[/size]

Although humans won't see it in the post, spiders will see it in the source ... and the spiders will follow the links.
affiliate blog

Daniel15

They're not "hidden" as such, just the size is reduced (I can still see it, but in a very small font). This can happen with all forum systems.
I guess what you're asking is to not allow font sizes smaller than a particular value?

EDIT: I'm using Opera as well
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

Daniel Marquard

Quote from: Daniel15 on December 13, 2006, 12:06:21 AM
They're not "hidden" as such, just the size is reduced (I can still see it, but in a very small font). This can happen with all forum systems.
I guess what you're asking is to not allow font sizes smaller than a particular value?

EDIT: I'm using Opera as well

If I remember correctly, there's a minimum point size for a font being used in a post, even if the user sets the size to 0.  I believe that either 4 or 5 is the minimum font size, but I could be mistaken.

Testing...
Testing...
Testing...
Testing...
Testing...
Testing...
Testing...
Testing...
Testing...
Testing...
[size=0pt]Testing...[/size]

Edit: It would appear as if a 7pt font is the smallest possible font size that can be used in a post with the [size] tag.

SleePy

A user could on most browser set a minimum value for text size.
SMF could as easily add some checks to make sure the size doesn't go below X where X is a number choosen either by SMF default or Admin setting
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Niteblade

Opera, eh? I'm using FireFox, and cannot see them in the post.
affiliate blog

Skhilled

I can see them with Opera as well but not with FF. I can see VERY tiny, unreadable text using IE7 with clear type on or off. Almost like a line with a few bumps on it.

Hmmm, being able to set the text within a certain range would help. At least, until FF and IE can come up with a fix. :)

Gobo

yea this topic needs to be adresses because for all u know ur board could contain 1000's of links to illegle sites and other sites which could result in ur google ranking and stuff goin down the drain

Dannii

I've never seen any bots smart enough to do that. In any case, it wouldn't change your sites ranking.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Gobo

yea actually most search engines dont even index SMF styled topics so no biggie really

Dannii

They do but that's not the point. Outbound links don't impact on your page's ranking. Only inbound links do.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Gobo

well i dont really know much about much
but i do know that if i catch people on my forum with hidden links they are gona get the spanking of their lives!

Daniel15

I've been trying to figure out how to only allow sizes above 7 to be used. I've been playing around with the regular expression (PCRE) used to validate the size used, and I can't seem to get it to work as I'd like it to.
Here's the line in question, from Subs.php:

'test' => '([\d]{1,2}p[xt]|(?:x-)?small(?:er)?|(?:x-)?large[r]?)\]',

Basically, it says "Allow sizes if they're one or two digits followed by px or pt, or if they're small, smaller, large, or larger. It's fairly easy to only allow 2-digit sizes to be used (this is still a viable solution if you don't use small font sizes:

'test' => '([\d]{2}p[xt]|(?:x-)?small(?:er)?|(?:x-)?large[r]?)\]',

I was trying this, but it didn't work:

'test' => '([7-9]|[\d]{1,2}p[xt]|(?:x-)?small(?:er)?|(?:x-)?large[r]?)\]',

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? (I am guessing all this as well as using information from past experience, I couldn't really find a good PCRE tutorial)

QuoteOutbound links don't impact on your page's ranking. Only inbound links do.
Unless you're running a link farm with 100,000's of links going out from heaps of pages on your site ;)
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.

Sockratease

Would this work?

Quick Fix - Use the Censored Word List to change "[size=0pt" to  "FORBIDDEN TAG" and this will reveal all!

[size=0pt]MOO!![/size]

Dannii

[7-9]|[\d]That says "7 to 9, or any number". Remove the "[\d]" and it would probably work. However thats a very small size range.... and it would also allow 77, 78 etc :P

Thantos

! Do not allow 0, 0px, or 0pt to be used in size tags. (Subs.php)

Daniel15

Quote from: eldʌkaː on December 25, 2006, 07:46:51 AM
[7-9]|[\d]That says "7 to 9, or any number". Remove the "[\d]" and it would probably work.
Well, I was trying to make it something like "Allow 7-9, or any 2-digit number" :)
QuoteHowever thats a very small size range.... and it would also allow 77, 78 etc :P
By default it allows all 2-digit numbers anyways ;)

Dannii

'test' => '([7-9]p[xt]|[\d]{2}p[xt]|(?:x-)?small(?:er)?|(?:x-)?large[r]?)\]',Try that.

Advertisement: