News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Tagging System For Topics

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, December 19, 2006, 10:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lomaalta

Oh, and btw it's separate - not seperate.  8)

Wellwisher

what about tagging system for posts?

vbgamer45

Not built in. Only does the topic overall.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Wellwisher

Quote from: vbgamer45 on December 16, 2015, 10:42:10 AM

Dev's you ought to build this feature in. A topic can have hundreds of posts - each with their unique content. I wanted members to tag them so it's quicker to search for shizzle via tags. But still vbgamer45 great mod, in fact you've developed some pretty awesome mods man. I am impressed  :laugh:.

vbgamer45

If I had time I would. But kind of just waiting for SMF 2.1 at this point.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

njtweb

Hi vbGamer, I'd like to understand the usefulness of this mod. Is this specific to searching for tags within the site or for SEO purposes with search engines? I ask because I've tried every variation of SEO standards with the tags and I can't find any of my topics on the web by tag criteria. They only seem to work searching within the forum itself.

Thanks, any info is greatly appreciated.

vbgamer45

Just within the site mainly not for seo. For people to find other related topics.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

420Connect.co.uk

Could anyone help adding a limit of say... 4 tags per line then it automatically drops to a new line?

I'm finding topics with a lot of tags can stretch themes, especially in a small screens!

Many thanks in advance!  O:)

Kind Regards
www.420Connect.co.uk ~ A Social Network For The #CannabisCommunity ~ Come say "High" ;)

badon

Quote from: Wellwisher on December 16, 2015, 10:04:20 AM
what about tagging system for posts?

Quote from: vbgamer45 on December 16, 2015, 10:42:10 AM

Quote from: Wellwisher on December 16, 2015, 12:15:07 PM
Dev's you ought to build this feature in. A topic can have hundreds of posts - each with their unique content. I wanted members to tag them so it's quicker to search for shizzle via tags. But still vbgamer45 great mod, in fact you've developed some pretty awesome mods man. I am impressed  :laugh:.

Quote from: vbgamer45 on December 16, 2015, 12:19:33 PM
If I had time I would. But kind of just waiting for SMF 2.1 at this point.

To add to what Wellwisher said, there can also be topics with THOUSANDS of posts. Here is an example:

https://www.livebusinesschat.com/smf/index.php?topic=5632.0

Discussions of such size can be "on topic", while also being more finely nuanced across a diverse range subtopics at the individual post level. As such, I propose that "topic tags" should be separate from "post tags", but perhaps post tags can also be treated as "sub-topic tags", especially if they occur frequently. Then, it might be possible to intelligently discern ontological and semantic meaning from the tags. I believe tags might eventually become nearly as important as forum categories, for organizing information.

Wellwisher

Hello,

I installed this mod but on the posts, even when I add the tags, they do not appear under the op topic.

Hoping someone can point me to the problem? Thank you.  :)

Wellwisher

This is what i cant see on my theme devs:

I dont see "tags" "member added tags" or "add tag" option on op topics! I set correct permissions. Everything else works as advertised.

NEVERMIND SOLVED IT, ADDED CODE ./Themes/default/Display.template.php to my own custom theme.  ;D ;D

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Wellwisher

I got a question:

I want our members to be able to add tags but NOT delete existing ones (only people with permission/ Admins should do that). How can I solve this pickle?

Other than that things are awesome; been using smf tags for a good few weeks now, really well made mod so thank you for developing this. Not had any problems.

Wellwisher

Quote from: Wellwisher on August 20, 2016, 05:44:41 PM
I got a question:

I want our members to be able to add tags but NOT delete existing ones (only people with permission/ Admins should do that). How can I solve this pickle?

Other than that things are awesome; been using smf tags for a good few weeks now, really well made mod so thank you for developing this. Not had any problems.

Solved it for those interested:

In default theme (or whatever theme you use) open display.template.php

Find:

if(!$context['user']['is_guest'] && allowedTo('smftags_del'))

Replace with:

if($context['user']['is_admin'])

It's a simple work-around. Above modification will only let admins delete tags, whilst enabling members to freely add topic tags to *any* topic and be unable to delete own tags or others. Of course if members know the delete smf tag urls, they will be able to delete any tag (i think).

Wellwisher

Just to add to my message above, Illori helped me figure this out. You can exchange that code for below. This will mean Admins and mods only can delete tags but members are still free to add tags to any topics. A MUCH better fix.

if(!$context['user']['is_guest'] && allowedTo('moderate_board'))

Not related to above, but i thought i would share what I achieved with a little editing design wise:

Rene88

is there a way to only alow tags on a specific board? i have a story board and only want to use tags for that.

and is there a way to delete the Tags menu button on the top of the site?

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Rene88

oke is it coming soon?

and is there a way to delete the Tags menu button on the top of the site?

vbgamer45

not likely.

To delete the menu you would have to modify sources/subs.php and remove the reference to tags in the menu code

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Rene88

Oke thanks will look into that then. looking for a way to only get it on story board. that they can see the tags on the story to see what its about.

Advertisement: