News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Tagging System For Topics

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, December 19, 2006, 10:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giulio92

Quote from: distante on August 12, 2010, 07:19:23 PM
I think the tags don't should be more than 80 characters, even 80 is big! It supposed to be a tag don't a title

I think...

The panel then becomes useless ... you set certain numbers but you is always limited to 80 characters, no sense ....

distante

but you can set a limit to 30 for example.

Tags (for seo use) should be someting like: "PHP" "Love" "matematic problems", etc.

Giulio92

Quote from: distante on August 13, 2010, 02:23:13 AM
but you can set a limit to 30 for example.

Tags (for seo use) should be someting like: "PHP" "Love" "matematic problems", etc.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but if one has a panel, claiming that it works

Remove "80" and place the multiplication would not hurt anyone

mabley

I would like the tag list to appear at the top of the thread, rather than the bottom.  Perhaps beneath the line that displays Pages and before the line that has the Reply buttons.

Pages [1] [2] Go Down                                      <<Previous Next>>
Tags: Tag [ x] Tag  [ x] Tag [ x]
                                                            Reply Add Poll Notify
Author                             Topic: Topic Title

Seems simple, but I don't know anything.  :)

jacbier

This is a great mod!

I used it at SFM 1.1 forum and now Iám using is at my new SFM 2.0 RC3 forum.

In the tag cloud the tags are sorted by quantity

ORDER BY COUNT(l.ID_TAG) DESC, RAND() LIMIT " .  $modSettings['smftags_set_cloud_tags_to_show']);

Does anyone know how the tags will be sorted alphabetically
In other words, how do I change the above line from Tags2.php

sharks

Thanks for all your hard work with this mod, vbgamer45. However, there is a serious feature that is missing from your tag system. I have a big forum running on SMF 1.1.11, using the default theme, where i have been using your mod for years! So, it has accumulated quite a lot of tags. But when clicking on any tag description from the tag menu (found in the top part of the forum where you get the "calendar, members, logout" buttons, the list is HUGE!! I have about 5000 tagged topics for each of the tag terms. So when i click on any of those term, there is a REALLY LONG list of topics that scroll down, usually this freezing my browser as well. Can you PLEASE add an option to limit the number of displayed topics to, say, 50 tagged topics listed per page? And there should be page numbers that can be clicked to access the rest of the tagged topics, just like for the normal topics listed in boards. That would be really great. Thank you very much.

vbgamer45

Hmm so some kind of paging system is needed on topic list for tags will add it. Anything else?
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

jacbier

Quote from: jacbier on August 26, 2010, 05:30:31 PM
In the tag cloud the tags are sorted by quantity

ORDER BY COUNT(l.ID_TAG) DESC, RAND() LIMIT " .  $modSettings['smftags_set_cloud_tags_to_show']);

Does anyone know how the tags will be sorted alphabetically
In other words, how do I change the above line from Tags2.php

A friend of mine has given to me the following solution

ORDER BY tag ASC LIMIT " .  $modSettings['smftags_set_cloud_tags_to_show']);

This works fine.  :D

sharks

Quote from: vbgamer45 on September 02, 2010, 03:42:42 PM
Hmm so some kind of paging system is needed on topic list for tags will add it. Anything else?

When viewing the main "tag" menu (after clicking on "Tags" from the top forum menu), the page shows a "cloud" of tags and then right under it, there is "Latest Tagged Posts". There you have these columns: Subject     Started by     Replies     Views
What is missing, is obviously the Tags column! :)
When viewing the list of "Latest Tagged Posts", it is really useful (and expected), to see which tags have been associated with these latest tagged posts. Then the member will find it more useful to decide if he/she wants to click on that tagged topic based on the tags listed next to it, which should be in a column on the immediate right to the "Subject" column.

Also, the cloud of tags should be allowed to be bigger and more customizable. It would be best to have some settings in the admin panel for this great mod, where we could control how many tags would appear in the cloud and what is the minimum number of topics with the tag would make the tag eligible to be listed in the cloud. I mean, the popularity of the tag should be left to the admin, depending on the size of their forum. On my forum, the smallest tag in the cloud has "210 things tagged", but it would be nice to have some slightly less popular (but more interesting) tags listed. And also, a setting to disable or exclude some of the more "common/general" tags from the cloud ONLY, without being forced to remove these tags from the tag system entirely.

vbgamer45

Did the first part you added more later on :)

2.4 Release
+Added paging for tag results
+Added tag column for recent tags on tags index
!Fixed some border issues removed border on areas to look nicer
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

distante

Do I have to uninstall the previous versions first? The tags will remain intacts?

sharks

Quote from: vbgamer45 on September 02, 2010, 06:17:19 PM
Did the first part you added more later on :)

2.4 Release
+Added paging for tag results
+Added tag column for recent tags on tags index
!Fixed some border issues removed border on areas to look nicer

Thanks for the upgraded release, mate. I have tested this on a fresh SMF 1.1.11 installation with default theme.

My test forum doesn't have as many tags to test the new paging system. So, if you don't mind, you have set how many tagged topics to be listed per page?

However, i noticed a few bugs.

1. In the tags index page, the tags column has no title.

2. When modifying a topic or posting a new topic, under "Subject", there is no "Tags" field.

3. In the error log, there are several of these:

http://www.forum.com/test/index.php?action=tags
8: Undefined index: smftags_topictag
File: /home/user/public_html/test/Themes/default/languages/Tags.english.php (main sub template - eval?)
Line: 46

4. When viewing a topic, and scrolling to the bottom of that topic, there is the [Add Tag] link, when clicked, allows adding tags. However there is a severe limitation to this system, as it allows to enter only one tag at a time, so the member is forced to click on the [Add Tag] link for every tag to be added, which can be tedious and time consuming if several tags are to be added to the topic. Even if the following format is used to enter a series of tags: forum,smf,tag -- the current tag system oddly identifies that line of tags as a single tag together. It should instead automatically separate the tags. Several tags should also be able to be entered as: forum, smf, tag (notice the space after each comma). In the latter, the tags line is also considered as single tag by the tag system. Basically, the tag system should ignore any number of spaces (if any) after a comma, and consider any text in between these commas to be a separate tag. Some members often end their tag or list of tags with a dot (.) so these should also be accounted for in the algorithm to be ignored.

!RFAN

is there any SEO benefit??? i mean it is a full tagging system???

vbgamer45

By default the mod does 25 topics per page on tags result

New update: 2.4.1
+Now supports comma splitting and trims space on add tag page
!Fixed title of tag column on tag index page

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

mabley

Now supports comma splitting?! That means

Tag, taggy, taggle, boomstick

Works now?!

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

sharks

Quote from: vbgamer45 on September 03, 2010, 12:26:03 PM
By default the mod does 25 topics per page on tags result

New update: 2.4.1
+Now supports comma splitting and trims space on add tag page
!Fixed title of tag column on tag index page

Thanks for the release, mate.

Here some fixes that could make this great piece of code the best mod yet:

1. In the tag index page, if more than one tag is added (let's say, 3 tags) to a single topic, then the same topic is repeated 3 times in the "Subject" column, with each different tag, next to the 3 times repeated topic title, in the "Tag" column.
Instead of repeatedly listing the same topic, the topic listing in the tag index page should display the topic only one time, with a list of all the different tags associated with that topic next to it, each tag separated by a comma and a space after each comma (for the sake of correct punctuation).

2. When creating a new topic, under "Subject:", there is the "Tags:" text which is misaligned with the blank text box area next to it. The "Tags:" text should be moved a little bit higher, to be exactly adjacent to the text box, like for the "Subject:" text. Also, the text right under tag text bar reads: "Seperate each tag by a comma" which should be "Separate each tag by a comma".

3. The [Add Tag] link found at the bottom of the page when viewing a topic should be kept unchanged, as it allows a nice spot to list all the different tags used in that topic, but it lacks visibility as it is found way down the page, so many members forget about using that feature when modifying their topics. Adding tags to a new topic is easy as the "Tags:" text field is clearly visible and accessible right under the "Subject:" text. But when modifying a topic, most members do not know how to remove or add new tags to their topics, as they usually just click on the "Modify" link and use the post editor panel for all their post modifying needs.
To allow easy access to adding more tags after posting the topic, a new link called "Add Tag" should be added at the top-right of the first post in the topic, alongside: "Quote", "Modify", "Remove", etc. Since only the topic starter can add tags to his/her topic, it is justified to have the new "Add Tag" link visible only to the topic starter (other than moderators and admins). The existing [Add Tag] link at the bottom of the topic page should not be changed or removed. But an extra "Add Tag" link next to the "Modify" link when viewing the first post in the topic, would make usage of tags on the forum much more widespread and popular.

Another way (probably the best solution) to tackle the poor visibility of the [Add Tag] link found at the bottom of the topic page, is to add it directly into the post editor panel, so that it displays the same way as it does under the topic page, but in the post editor, it should appear right under the "Subject:" text area.

For example, when modifying an existing topic with tags, this is how it should look:

Subject: I love SMF and Tags!
Tags: test [X] smf [X] tag [X]   [Add Tag]
Message icon:

The above example is actually more appropriate, as when making a new topic, the "Tags:" text field is already situated under the "Subject:" text field, so the topic starter would normally expect to see the "Tags:" field again at the same spot, when doing any topic modification.

crazyASD

Wow! Nice update, really!
One more wish: It is pissible add a list tags, pre-defined by board administrator, instead chaotic user descriptions (by me, some users add four and more absolutley ineeded tags, which littering tag cloud), or system raising popular tags, and putting down garbage?
Thanks!

vbgamer45

I am actually working with another forum member who has made some impressive updates hoping to get those rolled into this tagging system.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Advertisement: