Firefox 0.9.2 and My Forum

Started by ShawnX, July 18, 2004, 09:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShawnX

I'm having a problem with Firefox and my forums.  This only happens when viewing my forum with Firefox.  I have no problems with IE and my forums.

1. When I try to try to post in my forums, it gives me a message "Your session has timed out"
2. I am unable to log out of the forums
3. If I do manage to post something without getting the message "Your session has timed out", the post doesn't show up
     until I delete my cookies and refresh.

I use firefox when viewing this forum and don't have any of those problems.  That's why I'm wondering, if the problem is fixed in SMF 1.6 (I have 1.5).   

My forums can be seen at http://jackass.servegame.com/jaforum

kegobeer

Create a test account and post the user/pass here.  I'll be glad to see if I get the same problems using Firefox.  Firefox is my main browser and I haven't had any problems like that.

Also, did you search for this problem?  I seem to remember seeing the Session timed out problem before.  Maybe there's already an explanation.
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf
Posting and you (Click "WATCH THIS MOVIE")

Tomer

Are you sure you are accepting cookies?

ShawnX

I searched for the problem, but didn't find anything specific to Firefox with this problem.

I set up the test account:

Username: Test
Password: test

QuoteAre you sure you are accepting cookies?

Yes I am.  I have Firefox set to accept cookies normally.

Tomer

Yes something is wrong, do you mind creating me an admin account, I want to check all the options, you can send me the details.

kegobeer

Switch to the default SMF theme and see if this is a theme problem.  I posted on your site and had to hold down shift and click refresh before the post showed up.
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf

ShawnX

Sure thing!  I've made the test account an admin.

Thanks for helping!

QuoteSwitch to the default SMF theme and see if this is a theme problem.  I posted on your site and had to hold down shift and click refresh before the post showed up.

I just switched to this theme from the default a day or two ago.  I had the problem before then, I just got around to posting about it today.

kegobeer

Turn off local storage of cookies in Edit Features and Options.

ShawnX

Quote from: kegobeer on July 18, 2004, 10:46:12 AM
Turn off local storage of cookies in Edit Features and Options.

Will that mess up people who select the option to always stay logged in?

kegobeer

Local storage of cookies means keep cookies on the server instead of the person's computer.  It doesn't have anything to do with allowing someone to stay logged in forever.  The switch will fix your problems.

ShawnX

Ok, i'll try that

*Edit.
  I'm gonna wait to hear from Lamper first though.  It looks like he's still looking around.  Don't want to mess anything up that he might be working on. 
Gotta wait for him so I can delete the test account too (or at least take the admin privileges off of it!)  ;)

Tomer

No go ahead, still didnt start.

ShawnX

Ok.  I turned off "Enable local storage of cookies" but it didn't help.   Man this is weird...Works fine in IE, but doesn't like Firefox for some reason. Ok.  I turned off "Enable local storage of cookies" but it didn't help.   Man this is weird...Works fine in IE, but doesn't like Firefox for some reason.

The weirdest thing is that Firefox works fine with this forum.

*Edit
Lamper I set you up with another admin account.  I didn't feel comfortable keeping test as an admin account because I posted the username and password on this forum.

I PM'd you with the info!

Thanks for all your help!

PS. I turned "Enable local storage of cookies" back on, because with it off, I couldn't  log out...even in IE.

You might try logging into the admin account in IE and then testing changes in Firefox.  That's what I have to do.

kegobeer

After making the change, did you clear Firefox's cookies for your site?

ShawnX

Quote from: kegobeer on July 18, 2004, 11:17:40 AM
After making the change, did you clear Firefox's cookies for your site?

I didn't....but I just tried it and it didn't help.

Evie

Some of my users are having this problem with several browsers they've tried. They can't post at all. One of them has always had this problem, another one just started having this problem a while ago. It's very frustrating..

[Unknown]

What does this have to do with this, decently old, topic?  What error message do they get?  Have you tried database-driven sessions?  Can you provide a link?

-[Unknown]

Evie

I'm sorry, I didn't want to start a new topic as there already was one :-[ I thought everybody here already kinda knew that some users keep getting the session time-out errors.. although I couldn't find another topic that came with a real solution..

I have no idea what database-driven sessions are :-[

My board can be found here: http://forum.trebleweb.nl

[Unknown]

You're using an old version of SMF.  I strongly recommend you upgrade.  Once you've done so, you'll have an option to turn on "database driven sessions", which may resolve this problem.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: