News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

NEED My Xsorbit X4 to convert to SMF (will pay)

Started by ScreamHaunt, June 14, 2006, 01:17:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScreamHaunt

Nice to meet you my name is Pete.

I have an Xsorbit X4 and will get the text files.

The board doesn't use SQL it has text files, apparently that's the problem or has been so in the past.

I WANT AN SMF board, period.

In the next two weeks, I'll be launching two other websites on a hosting plan with some help.  I'd like to move my site
www.HauntersNetwork.com
to that server as well and all that jazz.

It's not that I hate xsorbit, but the board is an aging dinosaur and I need to upgrade.

Here's the challenge.

Email me at [email protected] if you think you can do this.

If I get an SMF forum and somehow get it uploaded to the server, and someone is able to take the text files and move everything over to the new board, I'll give you $100.00

Yeah I know, not a lot of money, but I'm a broke dude right now and have a lot of work ahead of me.  I'd like to move this site over, and all the artwork, banners and all that.

If you can help, please contact me.  I think it's possible, but I know it's going to take some work.
:'( I'm very sad here, I need a new platform, I worked so hard on that project and lost friends over it. 

ScreamHaunt

I have to mention something.

I kind of got sick and tired of people saying "it can't be done".

I SAW it done.  I know of some forums that went from the same style script to PHP in the past.  It was a question of "someone doing it".

Hopefully, someone here can make it happen.

I know for sure that TONS of people are sick and tired of their boards they worked hard on, and how they can't advance, and feel dead in the water.

With SMF, things can grow and become better.

That's what I want, this way I can give my users a promise that we can keep up with things.

Right now, I feel that I'm trying to drag race a rocket ship while driving a John Deere.

H

Xorbit IS SMF. They do allow you to get an SQL backup.

Once you have a backup you shouldn't need to do more than install SMF and then upload you backup over the top.
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

ScreamHaunt

Thanks for the response.

I'm aware that SMF (to the best of my knowlege) designed the software.

The problem I'm facing is this.

Xsorbit is telling me that there is NO SQL with the X4 platform, as the backup I'll receive is text files.

Hopefully when I get a decent amount of time (working 3 jobs) I work this out with one of the SMF people.

Lemme tell you, if I manage to get my platform to the SMF one, I'll be absolutely thrilled and will probably drop over dead.

I've only had my forum for about 2 years and I'm pushing about 17 grand in posts.

I'd really like to somehow get it over to here, so the site can advance as the technology progresses.

Right now, I want to put my fist through the monitor, because I worked so hard to create something nice, and it's a skeleton.

OMG, I need help. :o

anna.young

I think that Pete has an old Yabb board (.cgi).  I read it here somewhere that there is a converter for this, but it can be done only if all data (both Yabb board & SMF) are on the same server, but I might be wrong on that.  Is this correct?

Anna
Toronto German Shepherd Dog Rescue

"Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do." (SJ)

JayBachatero

It can be done.  I talked to Pete via email and I'll see what I can do.

Anna I though Yabb was writen in Perl.  Never used it so I don't know I will take a look at that and see if it's the same thing.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

anna.young

Yes Jay, I understand that Yabb 1 Gold & Yabb 1 Final were written in Perl.

Quote from: Jeff Lewis on November 26, 2004, 05:00:01 PM

Xsorbit has worked with us at one level or another since YaBB Perl...

The following people are given credit on Xsorbit X4 file:

YaBB 1 Gold:
Ze0|ntrus (Corey Chapman), plushpuffin (Darya Misse),
        Popeye, [CV]XXL, DaveB, DaveG, CareyP, Christian Land, Tim C, ejdmoo, StarSaber, Parham and the rest
        for helping out with graphics, code and other things :-)
        YaBB 1 Final:
Zef Hemel, Jeff Lewis, Christian Land, Ze0|ntrus, Peter Crouch
        and a bunch of others we want to thank!

Looks like original, pre-SMF team.

This is what Xsorbit has been using as their own Xsorbit X4 platform before getting SMF software and this is what both Pete, myself & few other members are stuck with.

I would be very interested to know if the data can in fact be converted just using the backup data from that platform.

Anna

Toronto German Shepherd Dog Rescue

"Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do." (SJ)

JayBachatero

Ahhh that helps.  Since Pete is busy can you send me the backup data so that I can take a look at it and see what can be done?
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

andycoll

Hi,
  All

Could you please let me know if this X4 to SMF was successful as i to have a X4 board and want to move it to a SMF platform

Thanks
  Andy

Advertisement: