News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

RSS Feed Poster

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, January 11, 2007, 07:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZamaTata

thanks again vbgamer for the explanation.

Just to report back..

The feed poster is working fine however the images are not shown.. with Autoembed images from RSS Feeds Checked..

I checked the source that what I get

target='_blank' href='websiteadd/path'
img src='websiteadd/imagepath'

notice the &#039 messing the links.. If removed it works then..

I have unchecked now, see how it goes...  will report back

fyi: I have removed the < >and tags

s3cc0

Hello. I'm testing the mod on my forum. I just finished setting it up and seems to work pretty fine.

What I think it would be a nice extra is the possibility of making a "summary" of the content, rather then posting the whole item from the feed. It shouldn't be too hard to code. It would be enough to add two options in the feed config:

1) Only post <title> and <link> elements

2) Select max length (in chars) to post from <description>

Please, think about it. That would be extremely useful when taking news from 3rd party sites.
Hacker, Pirate, Milf Hunter, Owner of Bitcoin Garden Forum

Cruncher Pete

My apologies for I am as thick as a 4 x4 Plank. I am trying to set up an RSS Feed on my website but am not sure how.  In the Read me I see a link to cron jobs but that link site is for sale and I have no idea what or how to create a fake cron job.  I would appreciate if somebody puts me on the right path.  I have installed the Mod but that is as far as I got. For an example on this site there is an RSS icon.  Its URL is : boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/.

How do I set it up to read the news when it is published by them which might be infrequent but I would love to see it in my forum automatically when it is listed. Should the poster name be myself since I have no idea what is the name of the original posters name at their site. If I need a cron job, how is it done.?

Thanks for your time.

vbgamer45

The postername can be yourself. So it looks like you posted the article.

If you are  using SMF 2.0.x there is a scheduled task that you can enable to automaticlly check the rss feeds.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

chrishicks

I have a question that hopefully someone can help me with. I have been using this mod for years now and it's been working as expected in that time. I do however notice a change and I'm not sure if it started when I upgraded from 1.1.21 to 2.0.11 or what because I only just discovered this within the last few days. I created a new user to post a new feed I added. The posts are made as they should be but the user never gets a post count increase so they will have say 10 feed posts but 0 posts made in their profile. To see if it was related to it being a newly created member I changed the poster to the one I had been using prior and ran a few feed lookups on that one real quick. Same issue. Posts are made but no increase in the count. At this point I started to experiment with account name vs displayed name(they are different in my case) thinking maybe there was a change in the mod because when I updated my forum I installed all the current versions of the mods because on my 1.1.21 forum they were pretty outdated. No change. Feeds post but no increase in count. I then deleted the feed and started over. Again, no change. Feeds post but no increase in count. The forum total count increases but not the user count. I can bring down the user post count by deleting duplicate feed posts so it's only related to the increase of count. I never noticed prior because the account I have been using has been in use for years so I really never paid close attention to the post count because that account has 1000's of posts. It was glaring however once I used a new account. And running a "recount statistics" in maintenance doesn't change the count either.  Is there something else I can try that I'm overlooking?

vbgamer45

Does the forum it posts to counts posts?
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

chrishicks

Yeah it's counting posts and topics it's just the user post for the feeds that don't count. An example of how this works would be:

Create a brand new board with 0 posts/topics and make sure the count posts box is checked. Create a new user with 0 posts. Set up a new feed on that user account and have 5 feeds posted. The totals change on the board to 5 topics/5 posts(as well as increase the forums total count by 5) but the user stays at 0 posts. The same post count issue will happen on any account I try including my admin account. I can also have a feed post in an older board with 1000's of posts and everything increases by 1 every time a feed post is made except for the user post count.

I really wish I had noticed this the moment it started so I could have a more definitive time of what changed on my forum for better troubleshooting. If there's anything you need such as a list of my installed mods on the off chance something is conflicting let me know.

Kindred

I thought that counting the RSS posts for the user, or not,  was a setting
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

vbgamer45

Not setting it checks if the main forum has counting posts or not enabled.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

chrishicks

VB, do you have any suggestions on things I could try to get the user post count working? I've gone through and checked every file edit and everything is there that's supposed to be so I'm not sure what else to look for.

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

xergon

Hi to everybody.
Last week I installed this mod on my forum, but i see that it doesn't work properly.

I made two feed: in the first I setup the update every 30 minuts; in the second I setup the update every 10 minuts; but they both refresh every 6 hours.

I try to delete them and do other feed, but i have alvways the same problem.

This are my option:
Use fake Cron jobs. Checks if feeds need to be updated on each page load.
Autoembed images from RSS Feeds.
Use description instead of content field

Feed download method: ALL

What can I do?
thanks

vbgamer45

Did you setup a cron job? If you setup a control job do it every 5 minutes or so.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

xergon

Quote from: vbgamer45 on March 07, 2016, 09:53:19 AM
Did you setup a cron job? If you setup a control job do it every 5 minutes or so.

no, i didn't.

How can i setup it?

vbgamer45

If you have cpanel there is a section for it there.
Check on google on how to setup a cron job.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

xergon

xergon

I can't quote feed post.
Is it normal?

theraider

hi!

I tried to setup this mod on my board but it's showing wrong characters..

example: "Dragões sofreram, em Paços de Ferreira, a 13ª derrota da temporada."

how can I fix it?

-Rock Lee-

Great job :D Here I leave the translation to the Latin Spanish I hope will be helpful ;)

Regards!
¡Regresando como cual Fenix! ~ Bomber Code
Ayudas - Aportes - Tutoriales - Y mucho mas!!!

vbgamer45

Thanks for the translation

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Advertisement: