News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

What would you all recommend for me to do this?

Started by bluevoodu, July 27, 2004, 06:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluevoodu

alrighty.. I am stuck in a between a rock and a hard place right now.

I run 3 websites.

2 Unix, 1 Windows.

I know a little bit of .ASP and MS SQL..... but  what is the UNIX version of the Software / Database?
Would that be MySQL and PHP?  what about perl? etc.

What I want to do is create a "fan site" for video games.  I am thinking database driven... dynamic content..etc.
I want to make a management page (that you would have to login to) that would allow you upload reviews... and the management page would automatically format the review to be on a page like all other reviews.
I am not good at getting this information across and I am a bit confused.... so I am looking for suggestions and maybe some direction.

Problem #1:  my current host (in which all 3 sites are hosted) is good... and I do not want to move my sites to another webserver.... that would be my final last option (only my final option.. before scrapping the project).

Problem #2: 1 site has no database space.  My Unix Site has 1 MySQL database, but that is being used by my SMF forums, and to get a 2nd MySQL database, I would have to go to a dedicated server.. a cost I Cannot do yet.  So I have no MySQL database space left.    Why is it limited?  My MySQL Databases are listed on seperate database servers.. seperate from my website. 

Problem #3 (Related to #2): my windows server has 2 unused MS SQL databases free and ready for use.  Problem.... (not your problem.. my problem  :P ) is that SMF is MySQL online... and I want to keep the new site I am creating and the SMF boards together. 

Does anyone know a good solution?

Now for some other questions:
1st do any of you have GOOD resources (books with superb examples..tutorials..etc) that would be beneficial to my site development?  I learned .ASP with the "Sam's Teach yourself ASP ecommerce programming.."  That was a REALLY good book, and it helped me learn a lot.

2nd do any of you have tips for my site creation? 

I do appreciate the help!

†B†V†
We want you to join:
Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Peter Duggan

Quote from: bluevoodu on July 27, 2004, 06:18:48 PM
Problem #1:  my current host (in which all 3 sites are hosted) is good... and I do not want to move my sites to another webserver.... that would be my final last option (only my final option.. before scrapping the project).

My Unix Site has 1 MySQL database, but that is being used by my SMF forums, and to get a 2nd MySQL database, I would have to go to a dedicated server.. a cost I Cannot do yet.

So I realise you're not keen on moving, but IMHO a dedicated server is a ridiculous price to pay for a second MySQL database, *ever*!

So I have no MySQL database space left.    Why is it limited?

Don't know, but why not start by asking your host?

bluevoodu

Quote from: Peter Duggan on July 27, 2004, 06:24:14 PM
Quote from: bluevoodu on July 27, 2004, 06:18:48 PM

So I have no MySQL database space left.    Why is it limited?

Don't know, but why not start by asking your host?

that 2nd questioned you quoted... I was mocking a question, I apologize for the confusion.  I always get the question "why is it limited like that?" 

the dedicated server would not just be for the 2nd database... I could use as many databases I wanted within that 80 gig limit for the dedicated server.  BUT with the hosting plans, you only get to use 1 MySQL database.

I will go to a dedicated server later on... I just cannot afford it now.  Dedicated servers are cool... for the fact I can host many sites on it in the future, and keep them contained to my own server.
Plus, I am not sharing bandwidth / server resources..etc.. with other websites.

but the issue is that I  can only work with what I have right now.

any suggestions?

Or any good resources on studying up on PHP, MySQL, Perl....etc?

†B†V†
We want you to join:

Peter Duggan

Quote from: bluevoodu on July 27, 2004, 06:29:59 PM
the dedicated server would not just be for the 2nd database...

Yes, I realised that too, but I'd also noted that you'd said 'a cost I Cannot do yet' and my point was that I'm astonished that your host is apparently restricting *anybody* to a single MySQL DB unless they take a dedicated server!

bluevoodu

Quote from: Peter Duggan on July 27, 2004, 06:35:05 PM
Quote from: bluevoodu on July 27, 2004, 06:29:59 PM
the dedicated server would not just be for the 2nd database...

Yes, I realised that too, but I'd also noted that you'd said 'a cost I Cannot do yet' and my point was that I'm astonished that your host is apparently restricting *anybody* to a single MySQL DB unless they take a dedicated server!

yeah... I am not happy about that either....

do you have any suggestions on good books....  for beginner PHP or MySQL... I Am going to need some good resources as well.

OR any tips on how to do the site ...IE what would you recommend I do the site in?

†B†V†
We want you to join:

Jack.R.Abbit™

well... having only one "database" is not a problem.  SMF uses 30-something tables in your one database... why not have what ever else you need to do be in the same database with additional tables.  I've had several YSE/SMF and carts and crap installed in one database all at the same time... had something like 130 tables.  Now if your one database has actually reached its limit in size that you are allowed, then thats a different story.  I just wanted to make sure you saw the difference in what you are saying.

As for reccomendations... I've pretty much tought myself everything about Perl/PHP/MySQL with various O'Reily books.  I've always been happy with their books.  Beyond that... I learn by doing.  You might be different but just jump in and code... no one will die if its not right the first.  Other options is to look at how others code... don't steal their code but you can learn a lot by looking at others source code.  If there is a function you don't understand, php.net will be your new best friend.

bluevoodu

Quote from: Jack.R.Abbit on July 27, 2004, 06:56:47 PM
well... having only one "database" is not a problem.  SMF uses 30-something tables in your one database... why not have what ever else you need to do be in the same database with additional tables.  I've had several YSE/SMF and carts and crap installed in one database all at the same time... had something like 130 tables.  Now if your one database has actually reached its limit in size that you are allowed, then thats a different story.  I just wanted to make sure you saw the difference in what you are saying.

As for reccomendations... I've pretty much tought myself everything about Perl/PHP/MySQL with various O'Reily books.  I've always been happy with their books.  Beyond that... I learn by doing.  You might be different but just jump in and code... no one will die if its not right the first.  Other options is to look at how others code... don't steal their code but you can learn a lot by looking at others source code.  If there is a function you don't understand, php.net will be your new best friend.
That sounds cool.  I checked out a few javascript/dthml books (O'Reily) and they are not too bad :)
Do you have any specific titles? 

I learn good from books that take you through actual "creation tutorials" in books.  That is why I like my Eric Meyer books "...on CSS" and his "More Eric Meyer...." 
I also like the " Sam's Teach yourself Ecommerce program with ASP" because it took you through real world applications... and I was able to understand it.

I cannot stand books that are more theory... or that do not take you step by step.

sorry... I am a little picky lol.

†B†V†
We want you to join:

[Unknown]

You can run ASP on Linux, actually.  Chilisoft, I think...

Here's something on how to do ASP.NET on Linux:

http://www.pcquest.com/content/search/showarticle.asp?arid=47162&way=search

Cool, eh?

You can use the same database SMF is using, in fact I recommend doing this.  Just use different table names. (like Jack.R.Abbit said..)

I recommend PHP, personally.  I've been doing a lot of work in ASP.NET recently - while ASP.NET 2.0 is going to be worlds better, I still much prefer PHP.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: