News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

please someone help me ..my site down

Started by ____novice____, August 26, 2009, 01:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

____novice____

please someone help me i have loaded smf 2.0 rc1.2...in my site at once the number of guest raised to more then 700guests and my site got down a mail came to me from APACHE saying "There has been a problem with the database!
This is a notice email to let you know that SMF could not connect to the database, contact your host if this continues. " then i contacted the host that is www.orgfree.com [nofollow] and they replied  "Your account attract bad traffic that affect server performance. If this will occur again, your account will be locked." Is it a ddos attack if so then where is the security and what action shud i take against it and how can i trace.. please help me

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Most probably no attack, as your host says your forum probably just hit too many visitors at one time, and the server couldn't take it. You are on too limited hosting for your forum's needs.
You either want to restrict guest browsing, or start looking for an upgrade to your hosting package.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

SlammedDime

If you're getting 700 visitors at once and you're on shared hosting, that is going to be a problem.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

____novice____

thnx slammedDime and Lexarma for taking care of my site the situation was tha i told onle 2-3 persons about the site and within around 1 minute my site got down
it came with the error "violation of terms and conditions". same problem came to my last website also in which once i saw more then 800 users logged in and it had paid unlimited bandwidth and space..i think some one is creating problem if so then is it so easy to breakdown someone's site.i just want to know how to protect against so many guest if there any option just let  me know please

SlammedDime

If you're getting DoS'd or DDoS'd, there really isn't much you can do if you don't own the server.  A quality host will already try to protect against this.

If your account has unlimited bandwidth and space, find a new host.  One that actually cares about it's customers.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

____novice____

it means no solution for DDOS.its realy strange it means our site is in others hand :P whenever he or she wants to down our site then he /she can do..if its so easy then bro y i m waisting making forum site i should have some DDOS stuff and scare admin's and make money...anyhow thnx for taking care can we restrict guest logins

青山 素子

Quote from: ____novice____ on August 26, 2009, 01:30:14 AM
it had paid unlimited bandwidth and space

There is no such thing as unlimited resources. Hosts that advertise that always have a catch or some other obscured limit to make sure you can't actually use unlimited resources. As a general rule, I'd avoid hosts that advertise "unlimited" if at all possible since they are basically lying to you from the start.

Quote from: ____novice____ on August 26, 2009, 01:43:08 AM
it means no solution for DDOS.

There are solutions for DDoS attacks, and a good quality host can work with you to help stop it if that is the problem. Most cheap hosts work on reallt thin margins and heavily loaded servers, so they don't have the luxury of actually helping the issue. For what you pay them, it's cheaper to just kick you off their server than to invest in helping you.

Quote from: ____novice____ on August 26, 2009, 01:43:08 AM
can we restrict guest logins

You can disable guest access in the main features and options screen. Note that this will block all non-login traffic, which includes search engines.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

____novice____

please let me know the best hosting service.to [nofollow] avoid ddos

Vekseid

I use Ubiquity, but the main host that specializes in DDOS protection is Gigenet.
Adult Role Playing Forums - - Over five million posts - - Elliquiy's LAMP configuration (maybe NSFW)

Blog about Forums and Servers - - Twenty things to make Simple Machines Forum go faster

Private/Instant Message requests for free support will be ignored.

Arantor

Do you still have any concerns about this, ____novice____ ?

Advertisement: