[SMF 1.1.x] Integrating the forum into your site using SMF\'s layer system

Started by Daniel15, January 27, 2007, 02:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fondled

No joy mate

Daniel15

Are the files at /public_html/forum/header.php and /public_html/forum/footer.php? They need to be in the forum's root, not in the Themes/[theme name] directory (very sorry if this wasn't clear).
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

fondled

Quote from: Daniel15 on February 22, 2007, 01:55:59 AM
Are the files at /public_html/forum/header.php and /public_html/forum/footer.php? They need to be in the forum's root, not in the Themes/[theme name] directory (very sorry if this wasn't clear).

Ooh No they werent, i added them and it has solved it, the css isnt turning up but i should be able to sort that now! cheers

Goggles

I've created a copy of the default theme and created functions in index.template.php called template_site_above and template_site_below.  I've moved the <html>...<body>, </body></html> code into these functions.  I've created the appropriate record in the themes table with theme_layer set to "site,main".  I've ensured that I am actually using the new theme and yet the site layer is not being output.  Is there any step I may have missed here or is there any reason why non default layers might not be displayed?

fondled

As above make sure your footer.php and header.php are in the root directory of your forum folder..

Also go to your admin panel, find your username, then your ip address, and click on it, it will how a list of errors..

See how u go!

fondled

Quote from: Goggles on February 22, 2007, 08:07:57 AM
.  I've moved the <html>...<body>, </body></html> code into these functions. 

If you read carefully your supposed to start just after the <body> tag for your header, and continue to the content part of the page, then after the content to the </body is the footer.

Goggles

Quote from: fondled on February 22, 2007, 08:31:28 AM
As above make sure your footer.php and header.php are in the root directory of your forum folder..

Also go to your admin panel, find your username, then your ip address, and click on it, it will how a list of errors..

See how u go!

Quote from: fondled on February 22, 2007, 08:31:28 AM
If you read carefully your supposed to start just after the <body> tag for your header, and continue to the content part of the page, then after the content to the </body is the footer.

I'm not using any external php files.  The code in template_site_above and template_site_below is pretty much just the <html>...<body>, </body></html> code copied from the template_main_above/below functions (I'll obviously change it to do more but wanted to test the simplest possible scenario first).  I am not using the attached template file but 1 I've modified myself (reason below).

I have however just noticed I can now see the attached template file (guess you need to be register to see it) which may help.  Looking at it though I can see no differences other than the includes for header/footer.php which I'm not bothering with yet (and I can't believe that's causing the errors).

Thanks for the tip on errors though, I'll take a look this evening.  

lebisol

Hi Daniel15,
Your tutorial is 'cleaner' but I did have issues with my index.template.php as I never could find reference in it to where footer.php and header.php are mentioned. Part of it may have been due to fact I am new to smf code structure.
All the best!

fondled

Goggles there is a setting under themes, that makes a theme default for all users..

In the admin panel go to configuration, themes and layout, and set and reset everyones theme.. :) Good Luck

Daniel15

QuoteI've created a copy of the default theme and created functions in index.template.php called template_site_above and template_site_below.  I've moved the <html>...<body>, </body></html> code into these functions.  I've created the appropriate record in the themes table with theme_layer set to "site,main".  I've ensured that I am actually using the new theme and yet the site layer is not being output.
This should be working perfectly...
Are you sure the index.template.php file is in the right place (it should be in Themes/[your new theme name]? Also, are you sure you updated the right database field (there's one layers entry for each theme)?

Note that what Goggles has done is exactly what I need to edit my tutorial to cover ;)
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.

seacoast

Hi Daniel15,

I'm assuming I don't need to go through this process if I'm bridging into Joomla and just want a couple of template changes, but set me straight otherwise because I want everything to work properly. After viewing your site where you are using Apollo, I would like to know:

1. It seems to change the color of the top area where you have your login I will need to alter an image file rather than using css. But which one?

2. In the Apollo default, there's a bar below that same login area that says SMF Just Installed. How did you remove it?

Thanks

Daniel15

QuoteI'm assuming I don't need to go through this process if I'm bridging into Joomla
Yeah, this is usually only if you're using a plain SMF installation.

Quote1. It seems to change the color of the top area where you have your login I will need to alter an image file rather than using css. But which one?
Which section? Do you mean the bit at the top of the page, above the forum (with "Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.")? I believe this is changed via CSS.

Quote2. In the Apollo default, there's a bar below that same login area that says SMF Just Installed. How did you remove it?
That's the news. To edit it, go to Admin Panel → News and newsletters. To completely turn it off, look in the Current Theme section :)

aholland

I got a little problem I can't find include('header.php') or footer in my index.template.php. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

foxed

Don't suppose you had a chance to look at my HTML nightmare Daniel? Help very much appreciated :)

lebisol

Quote from: aholland on February 25, 2007, 02:58:40 PM
I got a little problem I can't find include('header.php') or footer in my index.template.php. Not sure what I am doing wrong.
This part is missing in tutorial...there is no include code generated/to be found on initial setup, you have to add it manually. See the index.template.php attached as it already has it entered.
All the best!

foxed

jiapei100

Welcome to Vision Open
http://www.visionopen.com

Hafdís

ok, i been trying to do this, but i have no clue where to start, and what files to edit, can you please explain this, what files to edit  ???

need help with this
Enjoy your life, while you are here

Daniel15

Quote from: lebisol on February 25, 2007, 09:57:36 PM
Quote from: aholland on February 25, 2007, 02:58:40 PM
This part is missing in tutorial...there is no include code generated/to be found on initial setup, you have to add it manually. See the index.template.php attached as it already has it entered.
All the best!
Yeah, very sorry about this, I haven't had time to extend the tutorial...

Quote from: Hafdís on February 27, 2007, 04:12:11 PM
ok, i been trying to do this, but i have no clue where to start, and what files to edit, can you please explain this, what files to edit  ???

need help with this
Basically, you use the index.template.php file attached to the first post. The header.php and footer.php go in your forum's directory (where the index.php file, and the Sources and Themes directories are).

Follow the directions, and you should be right :). If you need help, please tell us which bit you got stuck on.

fondled

Im trying to update my header.php and it seems to be getting stuck in cache or something, and its not updating??

Ive had it working for a week ? I cleared all cookies and temp internet files??

Is there anything else i should be doing?

Advertisement: