News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Disable Cut and Paste?

Started by hoydie17, January 28, 2007, 08:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoydie17

I think this is more of a windows thing, but is there a way to disable cut & paste features on SMF text?  If not, would someone be willing to make a MOD for it?

On one of the boards I help run, we have members that do nothing but lurk so they can cut and paste information to post at their own board.  This isn't a competition, it's just that they use the information in rather nefarious ways.

This stems from a recent meltdown the community had and some members went to their own forum on another domain.  They were given a choice to comply with the rules, or go elsewhere. 

Thanks all,
Sean

karlbenson

even if they closed the usual loophole for copy and paste,

there are about 50 other ways to get around.
If the person is determined, they will be able to eg
- switch off javascript
- change browser
- view source
- opening url in texteditor
- screenshot
bla bla bla

in the end, adding this sort of stuff is likely to annoy legitimate users than it will prevent/put off people with nefarious intentions.

KGIII

Yup and, to add to what was said above well, doing so would likely make you lose more users. At risk of sounding obtuse I would say - look towards the administration of the forum and see if you can figure out why these things are happening and instead of trying to hide the symptoms figure out a way to truly solve the problem.

My PC Support Forum
Please ask in-thread before PMing
                   SMF Help
                   Visit My Blog

How can we improve the support process?:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=163533.0

SMF vs. Godzilla? Who do you think will win?

Gargoyle

Advertisement: