News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Importing messages from a CSV file?

Started by mosk22rte, July 12, 2007, 11:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mosk22rte

SMF Version: SMF 1.1.3
Hi all,

I'm new to SMF, so apologies if this question is a simple one that outs me as a noob.

I am the moderator of a Yahoo group, and will be moving this group to SMF. I have an archive of approx. 12k messages that I'd like to move over into the new SMF-powered forum. Because the forum is dedicated to a technical discussion, searching through these older messages for solutions is very useful.

For argument's sake, let's say the messages are in a single CSV file, with columns for date, subject, author, body, MessageID (unique serial ID), and TopicID (non-unique, and used to group similar messages into a single thread).

1. Is there an easy way to import these messages into a single board/child board? I am comfortable with assigning all the messages to a common author (e.g., "OlderArchive", etc.) - I just want the messages available to the search feature.

2. Ideally, messages with a common TopicIDs would appear as separate messages in a single thread.

3. The ideal solution would probably also allow me to import or bulk create memberships for the members of the Yahoo group, but as I said, if that isn't possible I don't mind losing the Author column.

4. I don't need to keep the original TopicID and MessageID columns once the messages are imported, so these can be considered a pre-import grouping mechanism; I don't need to preserve these.

Thanks for your help,

-Jeff

bassbass

Jeff, were you able to convert from CVS file?

mosk22rte

Hi bassbass,

Not yet, I've been tied up with a project at work, so my SMF project, which is personal, is on hold. At this point, I've extracted all the messages from my Yahoo group and ran them through a filter to remove the HTML. Of course, this only removed *some* of the HTML, so I now need to go through them with another filter and do some more cleanup, extract the subjects and author, and sort/group by subject, and assign thread numbers. I'm about half way done with that - it needs a few more hours, and I won't have the time until the weekend.

Hopefully, by next week I'll have a CSV file ready to import. I can post results then if you are interested.

-Jeff

bassbass

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

bassbass

apsara

How have you managed to do the conversion? I am looking for an answer to this question. Using pgoffline, i managed to get 11k messages to a database. now how do i get them on smf? how do you filter out html. the messages are in html.
can anyone please answer

SleePy

As long as nobody edits the posts, then you don't need to really worry about them being html.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

apsara

Thanks but no thanks. How do I get the offline database on to SMF. How do i provide an interface where users can access old yahoo messages and maybe even able to search it.

Advertisement: