News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

htaccess?

Started by Justyne, August 08, 2004, 12:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justyne

I had some trouble recently with people stealing my graphics. I now succesfully stopped that people can hotlink them, however with some graphics, like our paid button set, I would be happy to have a way to block downloading the images as well.. any ideas how to do that?
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Daniel D.

Justyne

thanks, but that thread only confused me more.

The Mole

There's the infamous no right click javascript. You should also make sure all your directories have index pages so the images can't be viewed directly.

I would think putting the images in a non-public/viewable folder (eg, a directory up from your main/www/pub_html/whatever folder) and using a php script to open them and display them, along with the no right click would lock it down pretty good...??? besides a screenshot of course. On second thought, I would watermark them, and make the quality not to great.

-the mole

Peter Duggan

Quote from: The Mole on August 10, 2004, 04:02:46 PM
There's the infamous no right click javascript.

Quotealong with the no right click would lock it down pretty good...???

Now, I know it's not the first time I've said this, but attempting to disable right-clicking through JavaScript is both completely ineffective and completely offensive to the user, who has any number of completely legitimate reasons for right-clicking. So sometimes I turn off scripting in my browser when I encounter it, but usually I just leave because it tells me that the site creator has absolutely no interest in providing a user-friendly experience!

[Unknown]

If I wanted to steal your images, turning off right clicking would not do a single thing to stop me.

If I wanted to maybe use your site, turning off right clicking would drive me away faster than an Amtrak train.

-[Unknown]

Vinoth

there are ways to steal , apart from your prevention!

I do , I know!

Vinoth And Sachin ( SpecHackers Team )
The Best  Way to Help Poor Is not Becoming One Of Them.

Christian Land

Quote from: Justyne on August 08, 2004, 12:58:10 PM
any ideas how to do that?

Yep... delete them from your website... thats the only way to make stealing impossible.... every other solution could be bypassed... for example someone could make a screenshot and simply "extract" the buttons with a graphics-program... or simply use the save function of IE which stores all graphics, too.... so don't waste your time with thinking about ways to protect the graphics... protecting them against hotlinking is the only thing you can do that makes at least a little bit of sense.... if you would prevent right-clicking, that would be a reason for me not to visit your site....

Cypher7

Quote from: SnowCrash on August 11, 2004, 05:28:06 AM
Yep... delete them from your website... thats the only way to make stealing impossible.... every other solution could be bypassed... for example someone could make a screenshot and simply "extract" the buttons with a graphics-program... or simply use the save function of IE which stores all graphics, too.... so don't waste your time with thinking about ways to protect the graphics... protecting them against hotlinking is the only thing you can do that makes at least a little bit of sense.... if you would prevent right-clicking, that would be a reason for me not to visit your site....

Jeez... more or less EXACTLY what I was typing... beat me to it :P (but I decided to come back and post anyway!)

Yea, once the image can be seen by someone in the browser, it is easily got.. be it through temp internet files, saving the page, or the last ditch attempt at a screenshot and editing it!!

Unfortunatly that's the way it is... but at least if you see someone using your images on their site, you can do something about that!

Ben_S

Quote from: whtgoogle on August 11, 2004, 03:55:25 AM

I do , I know!

And you seem quite proud of it ::).
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Vinoth

i am not proud, indeed though

quoted that i know the ways, sachin taught me how to do it, even if the page is well protected!

He is a tutor in andr
Vinoth And Sachin ( SpecHackers Team )
The Best  Way to Help Poor Is not Becoming One Of Them.

Cypher7

Quote from: whtgoogle on August 11, 2004, 12:10:57 PM
He is a tutor in andr

you mean he teaches people how to rip sites and images!?

and in here... http://www.andr.net !? :-\

Peter Duggan

Quote from: whtgoogle on August 11, 2004, 03:55:25 AM

I do , I know!

Quote from: whtgoogle on August 11, 2004, 12:10:57 PM
i am not proud, indeed though

quoted that i know the ways

So why did you also say 'I do', and what did you mean by that?

Christian Land

Probably a case of bad english, Peter ;D

But its easy to "steal" images from other sites.... there isn't really much knowledge involved....

Peter Duggan

Quote from: SnowCrash on August 11, 2004, 01:43:19 PM
But its easy to "steal" images from other sites.... there isn't really much knowledge involved....

Which is why your suggestion to 'delete them from your website' (or, even better, never to upload them to it in the first place) is ultimately the only practical safeguard. On which note, I'll admit to sometimes doing precisely that! ;)

Justyne

thanks guys for your information... I guess that's mean I will need to trace those trouble makers further that think it is funny to steal babylonkings button sets... damn how I hate free hosting and people changing hosts more often then underwear... cannot even type up the complaint fast enough before they move the host again.

Advertisement: