News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Show unread posts since last visit link not working properly...

Started by symon, February 13, 2007, 02:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

symon

PLEASE STOP MARKING THIS AS SOLVED....IT HAS NOT BEEN :(

SMF Version: SMF 1.1.2
Hey guys,

On my forum the "Show unread posts since last visit." link returns nothing but when you look down the forum you can see the icons showing unread posts and those exist!!!!

So there are unread posts but it's not saying ???

Has anyone else had this happen?

It's annoying my members but I can't fix it. I've searched SMF but no new topics on this that I can find.

Also...I have just upgraded to 1.1.2 so could that fix this?

Ta :)

ps. No mods other than a few things for integrating Gallery2 by oldiesmann. But my 1.0.9 never had this issue.

pps. The last person to ask this went unanswered back in August...hence my search being fruitless. Thanks for your time...I know you are all very busy :)

jackj

symon

青山 素子

Do the icons go back to showing unread if you visit the board?
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

jackj

jackj

The "Click here to try all unread topics." doesn't work either.

青山 素子

Quote from: jackj on February 13, 2007, 02:47:12 PM
The "Click here to try all unread topics." doesn't work either.

jackj, that is a different problem and you already have a topic for that.

Quote from: symon on February 13, 2007, 02:44:52 PM
yup :)

There are sometimes bugs with this, especially with child boards. Sometimes the log that keeps track of read posts seems to get a little behind. I'm not sure if it is a MySQL issue or SMF, but since it happens more on busy boards (in my experience), I am leaning toward MySQL.

Perhaps one of the other support people have run into this issue and have some workarounds?
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

symon

That would be great to know. But it's weird how it's just started to happen since 1.1.1 ???

Makes me think something went wrong when I upgraded...maybe?

symon

Has anyone else noticed this?

It would be pretty easy to miss as you could go to the 'Show unread posts since last visit' link and see nothing and think you have none. But check your boards and you may have the 'unread posts' icons lit up.

Easy to miss though :)

jackj

Mine was a new fresh install and I have the problem.  Had the problem before any mods were installed.

http://www.tchsalumni.com is my forum if anyone wants to test it and see if it works for them.
It was happening to me back in older versions before I upgraded also.

symon

So so far 3 people have mentioned this so maybe it is a bug...and therefore fixable?

Anyone? :D

symon

A member has sent me a video showing the "Show all unread posts." link saying none but then all of the icons show that there actually IS!!  >:(

:)

I makes SMF a bit frustrating for users as the function doesn't seem to work.

Should I attach it to this post for you support guys? (it's quite small)

Ta :)

symon

I personally see this as a big deal. It means it's not properly working  :(

jackj

Yep its very frustrating.  Sure wish some of the others would weigh in.

symon

Surely we can't be the only two to have this issue. I think most people would miss it if they rely on the show unread posts link. Maybe peeps show have a look about when they see they have no new posts in the unread section. :)

SleePy

Did you upgrade to 1.1.2? there was a small fix done to this action from another error but it might fix yours.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

symon

Yep, 1.1.2 :) ...I popped that on my first post.

It's a strange thing.

I truly believe more people are getting this than may first realise.

SleePy

Quote from: Motoko-chan on February 13, 2007, 02:55:06 PM
There are sometimes bugs with this, especially with child boards. Sometimes the log that keeps track of read posts seems to get a little behind. I'm not sure if it is a MySQL issue or SMF, but since it happens more on busy boards (in my experience), I am leaning toward MySQL.

as Said Keeping track of posts is hard for each and every user. changes could happen and get any forum. all lost on keeping track.
This could be the problem. Is your forum active?
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

symon

Quote from: SleePy on February 24, 2007, 11:41:11 PM
Is your forum active?

Yeh but it will grow by a huge amount. Currently 600 members but by next year this will be in the thousands. Active users is around 100+ but this will grow considerably.

If your forum can handle the mass amount of traffic it does, them mine should ;)

Advertisement: