Show unread posts since last visit link not working properly...

Started by symon, February 13, 2007, 02:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleePy

Quote from: symon on February 25, 2007, 05:18:23 AM
Quote from: SleePy on February 24, 2007, 11:41:11 PM
Is your forum active?

Yeh but it will grow by a huge amount. Currently 600 members but by next year this will be in the thousands. Active users is around 100+ but this will grow considerably.

If your forum can handle the mass amount of traffic it does, them mine should ;)
These forums are optimize by the Developers and a very good server admin. So I can't say on the difference between your forums and here.

Are you able to upgrade mysql and php to newer versions? give that a shot and see if that helps out. SMF does perform better on higher versions because of the more built in/optimized functions in newer versions.
Also if you expect your forum to be growing at such amounts you should look at doing other things to optimize your forum and sooner or later if you are get off shared hosting.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

symon

Cheers fella,

I will check over the countless optimisation forums here :)

Thanks again and bye for now :)

Stumpy

I've had the same problem I guess since day one.  My site is not that active at this point (maybe 10-12 concurrent users), but will be within a few months.  The "unread since last visit" almost never works.  The "all unread" seems to be okay.  Running 1.1.2 with Tiny Portal (.97?) and a few standard mods like SMF gallery, etc.

Is this a cookie issue or is the trigger for unread since last kept in the database?  Like someone else said, I tend to see it as a real problem.  At the very least, is there an easy way to put in a dropdown list that says something like "Show topics updated in the last 2,4,6,8,12 hours"?

As to upgrading mySQL, I don't think I have that option.

symon

OK, so this is getting worse.

It's not to do with a database version as the icons (on/on2/off) on the main board all show the correct unread boards.

The show unreads doesn't work properly. 1 minute it says none when the main board shows 10+ and the next it's fine.

This is a really integral part of any forum let alone mine...so I'm having to look into the option of converting to other software.  :'( :'(

I haven't experienced this with any other forum...ever.

jackj

I dont have a problem with this at all with my forums that have not been upgraded to the newer versions.   I'm afraid to upgrade the others for this reason!

Are you using any mods?

symon

I have a gallery integration mod but it doesn't touch most of the files involved with this.

I also have the board icons mod. But it's been happening way way before that.

But something is clearly wrong. I've ran all of the maintenance tools but nothing has happend to better it.

I wouldn't want to scare you off from your updates though...it doesn't seem to be widely reported :)

But you wouldn't know if it was happening unless you looked for it.

Stumpy

Quote from: symon on March 07, 2007, 11:41:43 AM

But you wouldn't know if it was happening unless you looked for it.

That's the problem though.  Let's face it: not all (probably not many) users are going to think to click on "Get ALL Unread" if the "Get Unread Since Last Visit" says they don't have any.  And clicking through the forums one at a time is maddening - particularly if people are posting while you're looking for new posts.

I'm thinking about "fixing" this by changing the "Get Since Last" link to a "Get All Unread" link.  That seems to be more consistent, although I've had users report that even that doesn't work for them.

jackj

Neither "Get since Last" nor the "Get All" works for me.  Although their are unread.

Stumpy

Any thoughts on a droplist that allows the user to select "Get all posts created in the last X hours"?

khoking

My forum is at:

http://pentaxworld.com/forum/index.php

SMF 1.1.2
TP 0.9.7
SlickPro theme
MySQL 4.0
PHP 4.0
Forum Icon mod
TrimURL mod
Coppermine Gallery
etc.

I have no problem with my UNREAD THREADS. As you can see that I like this feature so much that I have even add a dedicated button for it on the Menu now! It will be a great feature for every members to check what they are missing since the last visit.

I am not sure how to help...but I hope my installed above can give you some hints...
Kho King
www.ShaShinKi.com
www.PentaxWorld.com

khoking

Just a thought...did you clear your cookies and cached data on your browser before testing the Unread Threads?
Kho King
www.ShaShinKi.com
www.PentaxWorld.com

symon

QuoteAs you can see that I like this feature so much that I have even add a dedicated button for it on the Menu now! It will be a great feature for every members to check what they are missing since the last visit.

I am not sure how to help...but I hope my installed above can give you some hints...

Good idea :)

But it still uses the same =unread as the other links. Hence the problem will remain.

It's also worth adding that everyone uses unread. I think it's THE most important function for usability.

:)

QuoteJust a thought...did you clear your cookies and cached data on your browser before testing the Unread Threads?

Personally...this has happened for too long for the cache to have an influence...plus I clear that everyday ;)

symon

Any chance someone from SMF could answer this?

Or is the quiet treatment a sign of SMF knowing something is wrong?

:)

ps. I think waiting 2 weeks between posts is not being pushy  :P lol

jackj

I was wondering the same.  Im going to move my forums to a new server and see if that helps soon.

symon

Quote from: jackj on March 22, 2007, 03:12:35 PM
I was wondering the same.  Im going to move my forums to a new server and see if that helps soon.

You shouldn't have to do that! And don't...it won't help...I've moved 3 times :)

ps. Why does this keep getting marked as solved? Grrrrrr

jackj

I did just note that my "show all unread" (action=unread;all;start=0)  works fine, but the "Show since last visit" (action=unread does not) does not.

jackj

After moving the forum to a new server all works fine now.

I did notice that my new server has a newer version of Apache and mySQL, and that may have been the difference.

symon

What version were they Jack? :)

I'm on:

PHP version     4.4.4
MySQL version    4.1.21-standard-log
Apache 1.3.37

Are yours newer?

Sy

jackj

I actually misspoke, my new server has an older version of Apache, but newer mySQL

New
----------------
Apache 1.3.37
PHP Ver 4.4.4
MySql  4.1.21

Old
----------------------
Apache 2.0.54
PHP  4.4.4
mySQL  4.0.25

Then again it may not have anything to do with any of that, but know that it is working now

symon

:( Mines the same and the issue is worsening :(

Is your forum busy?

I'm averaging 100+ posts a day and it's only gonna grow.

Advertisement: