News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Automatic Flash Player for Media Attachments?

Started by dobomode, February 22, 2007, 10:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

You can't play an attached mp3 file because attachment filenames are hashed and file extension is removed.  The player would not recognize it as mp3 file.  If you tried to combine an uploader with an audio player, you would have to allow uploading mp3 files retaining original filename, and that would create the security risk that attachment hash is designed to prevent.  May be a way to work around it, but can't think of it offhand.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

nend

It may be possible to convert the files server side, will require a dedicated box as I am sure no shared host is going to allow you to do this, plus they wouldn't have the proper libs installed.

This is something more popular streaming services do, it's not going to be cheap doing so, server cost, etc.

You may also be able to achieve something using your own personal computer from home, connecting to your server, downloading, converting and then uploading the files. This is still all in the custom space and if you can't do it yourself, like mentioned above, it's going to cost you.

aj113

nend

My bad, MP3 is supported by HTML5 video and audio. I even have some embedded on my website. For some reason I was thinking of some other format.

dougiefresh

Quote from: aj113 on December 07, 2016, 02:09:32 PM
Dougiefresh seems to have achieved it without too many issues:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=550341.0
I was thinking about adding a video component to that mod.....  I've got video MIME detection support already built for it, mostly in order to address the differences between OGG and OGV files (works off of file extension).  Was also thinking about adding a few of other features/fixes to the mod, mostly to address a particular bug report about guests not being able to play attachments if they can't see them....

Are you interested in an audio and/or video tag utilizing this HTML5 audio and video tags?  Cause I can build one into the mod as well....

aj113

For me, the mod does exactly what I wanted. Obviously if there are bugs it would be great for them to be fixed, but I don't need any more functionality than it has already.

Advertisement: