Idea : SMF Directory?

Started by Overseer, September 18, 2003, 05:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overseer

Might be a good idea for promotion for those who want it?

my idea is that there would be a section on this site containing (user submmited of course) entries for peoples forums.

perhaps ranked in some way? (using the rss stuff couldnt stats be pulled from the boards periodically?)

Tyris

I reckon that'd be a good idea... perhaps ordering them into categories... so that people can search for boards that may interest them...
of course the most people looking will be web masters themselves.. but its still nice to see what the competition is doing...
I definately like this idea :D

Douglas

The only problem with this is that if this list is made public, we'll have the same issue that vBulletin had earlier this year, where an exploit was made public, and hackers were scanning the directory of sites to find sites that are/were vulnerable.  They then exploited those sites for everything they're worth.

I vote against this idea, if you want to publicize your site, put it in your profile or signature line.  :)
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

Seph|roth

Quote from: Douglas on September 18, 2003, 06:30:37 PM
The only problem with this is that if this list is made public, we'll have the same issue that vBulletin had earlier this year, where an exploit was made public, and hackers were scanning the directory of sites to find sites that are/were vulnerable.  They then exploited those sites for everything they're worth.

I vote against this idea, if you want to publicize your site, put it in your profile or signature line.  :)
but... that's really own problem then... if your site is vulnerable, you shouldn't publicize it in the directory.. and if you do get exploited... it'll teach you to make your site more secure in the furure ;D

Tyris

mmmm... that is a good point actually.... coz there's probably a 0% chance that SMF will be completely unhackable... so when an exploit IS announced and a fix provided, for at least a day or so, the majority of the forums in the directory would be vulnerable.
(note: 0% chance because nothing is 100% safe, and there's always some sort of hole somewhere, not coz you guys aren't the best coders ;)... which you are!)
Only possibility then would be to only announce bugs publicly a day or so after an email had been sent to all people in the directory so that they could update...

Tom Veik

Quote from: Douglas on September 18, 2003, 06:30:37 PM

Not having a directory won't stop those guys though.  If someone wanted to exploite a vulnerability all they have to do to find sites is do a search for "Powered by SMF".

[Unknown]

The issue is then at least it's not our fault.... we're not helping the hackers ourselves.

-[Unknown]

David

It would be reasponsible for a directory admin to temporarily close it in a situation like that descirbed.
This space for rent.

Overseer

^ good idea.

Or..  Could make it only available/visible to members of this forum then?

I'm sure with the new template system some awesome things will be produced. :)

i just think the 'Showcase' section is a bit lacking in structure :)

old dan

Quote from: [Unknown] on September 19, 2003, 12:31:14 AM
The issue is then at least it's not our fault

-[Unknown]
[Unknown] is totally correct here. There is also a thing called liability and I wouldn't want to see SMF get sued. Because as we all know sooner or later someone is going to figure out a way to hack SMF and publicze it all over the net. ~sigh~

It's too bad cuz a directory would be a cool thing to have. ::)
The No One fro President campaign - take back your country.
Discuss political and social issues at The Freedom Exchange Online

Overseer

Isnt that like saying, well not making the forum prevents the hackers from hacking it?

How can SMF be liable when someone has willingly submitted their site to a directory?

Isnt it like saying google and be liable if its found via a "powered by SMF" type search ?

old dan

Quote from: Overseer on September 19, 2003, 06:08:26 AM
Isnt that like saying, well not making the forum prevents the hackers from hacking it?
no.

How can SMF be liable when someone has willingly submitted their site to a directory?
How can McDonalds be liable when someone spills their coffee?

Isnt it like saying google and(sic) be liable if its found via a "powered by SMF" type search ?
no.

Overseer

VBulletin still have a directory, and it is categorised.
http://www.vbulletin.com/links.php

Couldnt easily find one for IPB, phpBB or UBB/Infopop,

Another observation.

Whats the difference between..

1) people openly posting their forums in the showcase section
2) people openly posting their forums into a directory

Tony Reid

What about having a jumpto script? like hotscripts? would that help?
Tony Reid

eFishie

--Jon

Abstraction Point Electronic Music Community - We don't bite! Really! I promise!

Check out my newest song: Alive

Acf

resubmit after each release...
Sigh...

Overseer

or use the xml feature to get the version running out.. and exclude 'bad' ones

Michele

Quote from: old dan on September 19, 2003, 11:14:33 AM

This one gets me everytime. I lived in Albuquerque when that woman got burned by the coffee... first and second degree burns IIRC. Think about it though... if the coffee is that hot as to burn skin that badly, what do you expect it would have done to her mouth if she had actually drank it when it was that hot?

The problem was that the particular McDonalds was near the freeways and the folks who communted Santa Fe used it a lot. So MickeyD decided to make their coffee extra hot so it would stay hot during the 60 mile drive. The problem was that McDonalds served coffee that was so hot it was dangerous even to DRINK at that temperature.

It was an incident specific to that McD's, and IMHO, caused by McD's. The woman had every right to sue and to win... which she did, and now that McD's no longer serves coffee hot enough to cause first degree burns... duh.

Michele
Dubito ergo cogito ergo sum

old dan

Quote from: Michele on September 23, 2003, 09:21:48 PM
Quote from: old dan on September 19, 2003, 11:14:33 AM

This one gets me everytime. I lived in Albuquerque when that woman got burned by the coffee... first and second degree burns IIRC. Think about it though... if the coffee is that hot as to burn skin that badly, what do you expect it would have done to her mouth if she had actually drank it when it was that hot?

The problem was that the particular McDonalds was near the freeways and the folks who communted Santa Fe used it a lot. So MickeyD decided to make their coffee extra hot so it would stay hot during the 60 mile drive. The problem was that McDonalds served coffee that was so hot it was dangerous even to DRINK at that temperature.

It was an incident specific to that McD's, and IMHO, caused by McD's. The woman had every right to sue and to win... which she did, and now that McD's no longer serves coffee hot enough to cause first degree burns... duh.

Michele
I have no idea what tripped your trigger. My point was that McDonalds was responsible because it served the coffee and SMF would be responsible because they displayed the member sites addresses. 

btw, McDonalds was found liable not because the coffee was hot enough to cause burns. Any liquid over 130 degrees can produce third degree burns and most coffee and teas are around 150 degrees. Any cup of coffee from almost any fast food place will burn you.  The lady who was burned was awarded damages because McDonalds had acted in a reckless, wanton conduct because of previous coffee burn cases they had settled out of court, showing they were aware of the problem. Despite which they had still maintained the high temp of their coffee (around 20 degrees hotter than anywhere else).  And also because the jury saw them as unsympathetic and indifferent to the womans suffering.

And it wasn't just in Albuquerque, McDonalds (and most fast food franchises) serve coffee very hot because that's what sells.  So please, the next time you go off on me I hope it is over something more substantial than a misunderstood sentence.
:)

Joshua Dickerson

Just to bring this a little more off-topic, she shouldn't have spilled it on herself. If the coffee was too hot to drink, than why try? When you get your fries, they are so hot, it hurts to put them in your mouth, but that is GOOD. There is no 'warning hot contents' label on fries (afaik). She shouldn't have been so stupid, if there was negligence anywhere, it was on her part by not placing the cup in a holder and drinking it irresponsibly.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

Advertisement: