News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Invite (registration through invitation)

Started by Sarke, March 03, 2007, 02:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarke

Link to Mod

This MOD adds an invite system to SMF.  Users get invite credits which they can use to invite people to the forum, and showing who invited whom.  The forum can also be set to only accept registrations through invitations, meaning that you need to be invited to join.

Admin options are in "Features and Options" -> "Invite", and "Manage Permissions".

As always, I'm open to feedback and improvement ideas.

If you're installing this on a custom theme, go to http://server.daniel15.com/smf/package.php, upload it there, and select "Only Theme edits".  It will show you what to do.

A few useful posts in this topic:

How to install the menu button manually on a custom theme

How to show top inviters in a TinyPortal block

My MODs          Please don't PM me for support, post in the appropriate topic.

Bigguy

I just installed this on a very heavily modified SMF 1.1.1 and it worked like a charm. We will see how it works for others. Thanks for this.

RoarinRow

No problems with installation, just when invitee accepted and clicked on link I found this in error log:

8: Undefined variable: invite_key
File: /forum/Sources/Register.php
Line: 340

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

Bigguy

Was he able to register and all that without a problem. ??? Did the link do what it was supposed to. ???

trenchteam

sweet.  I'll be looking out for this thread.  Once the kinks are ironed out, I'll be sure to install.

RoarinRow

Quote from: Bigguy on March 03, 2007, 04:24:07 PM
Was he able to register and all that without a problem. ??? Did the link do what it was supposed to. ???

Yup, everything worked as it should, but that error in the log.

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

Sarke

Quote from: RoarinRow on March 03, 2007, 04:06:00 PM
No problems with installation, just when invitee accepted and clicked on link I found this in error log:

This should be fixed in 1.04, and it was caused when I renamed a variable and good ol' copy+paste.  It also made it not register who invited the member.

Thanks for letting me know.

littleone

I have over 50 mods and some supplement ones too (so 59 total) and this one installed like a charm and havent noticed a problem.  I even did a bit of tinkering with it to fit a bit better and all worked fantastically.  Everyone is pretty excited about this new forum feature.  Great Job!

Sarke

Quote from: littleone on March 04, 2007, 02:19:37 AM
Everyone is pretty excited about this new forum feature.  Great Job!

Thanks! :D

I even did a bit of tinkering with it to fit a bit better

I'd be interested in what this was, and any ideas on how to improve the mod.

spiritanime

I installed this mod and I have found a problem. Even if the mod is not set on 'invite only' the message in the invite box says: 'This forum is set to only accept new registrations through invitations. You can invite someone new if you have invite credits by making a new key and sending them the link.' However you can register as normal anyway... Can I change this text, and if so how?

RoarinRow

Quote from: Sarke on March 04, 2007, 01:25:48 AM
Quote from: RoarinRow on March 03, 2007, 04:06:00 PM

This should be fixed in 1.04, and it was caused when I renamed a variable and good ol' copy+paste.  It also made it not register who invited the member.

Thanks for letting me know.

Great, thanks!  Looking forward to the upgrade   8)

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

littleone

Quote from: Sarke on March 04, 2007, 04:36:56 AM
Everyone is pretty excited about this new forum feature.  Great Job!

Thanks! :D

I even did a bit of tinkering with it to fit a bit better

I'd be interested in what this was, and any ideas on how to improve the mod.

Oh I just change some of the modification.english txt.  You had it read that the forum was ONLY  invite only even if it wasnt.  So I just changed it to ready.  This forum ACCEPTS invites....blah blah. (make it more general, cause thats the first thing I was ask was if people could only join via invite because of the way it was written).

Then I also removed the column where it printed out the key next to the link.  I didnt see need to have it on the Inviters page, so that shrunk it up cause it made the page really long to scroll.  Thats all :P

Skipdawg

This is looking and sounding like a very cool Mod and great idea. Will watch a bit longer to see if there are any other issues to arise.  ;)
Skipdawg's Community