News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

View Any Topic permission

Started by Feldon, March 09, 2007, 10:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paracelsus

It can be due to manual modifications that I did instead of uninstalling and installign it again (because I have other mods there)...

... perhaps it would be asier if you can put the specific changes from one version to another, let's say from 1.7 to 1.9

Feldon

Well at least that's an easy fix...

FROM ({$db_prefix}messages AS m, {$db_prefix}messages AS mf, {$db_prefix}topics AS t, {$db_prefix}boards AS b)
LEFT JOIN {$db_prefix}categories AS c ON (c.ID_CAT = b.ID_CAT), {$db_prefix}messages AS mf

should be

FROM ({$db_prefix}messages AS m, {$db_prefix}messages AS mf, {$db_prefix}topics AS t, {$db_prefix}boards AS b)
LEFT JOIN {$db_prefix}categories AS c ON (c.ID_CAT = b.ID_CAT)

In the earlier version I had put the "{$db_prefix}messages AS mf" at the end of the second line.  In the new version I put it in the middle of the first line.

Paracelsus

;) thanks, great work!... I think now everything is ok... (i shouldn't say this, because it seems to give bad luck ;D)

Sakae

Does your mod allows users to read topics created by admins? If not, is it possible to modify your mod (that's some paradox lol) to do that?

My objective is create a topic in a specific board so users can post into it. Still, they can only see admin's and theirs message, not all messages.

Would it be possible to do that with this mod?
http://www.tigrelog.com.br
l: simple p: machines

Feldon

I don't think this mod does quite what you want.  Perhaps if an admin starts a post, a user responds, and then the admin deletes his message?  Not very elegant, but it might work.

Otherwise, a post can be made visible to all by stickying it, or the admin would have to wait for a user to start a topic, then it will be private.

Sketter

Suggestion.

What about adding posting restriction to your mod.

Something i used with phpbb2.

Be able to start a topic, but no one can respond other then mods/admins.

This feature is in phpbb2 and it is a "forum permission"

(If this is done already can some1 point me to the right direction? )

Sketter

Feldon

Quote from: Sketter on December 02, 2007, 03:22:28 PM
Suggestion.

What about adding posting restriction to your mod.

Something i used with phpbb2.

Be able to start a topic, but no one can respond other then mods/admins.

This feature is in phpbb2 and it is a "forum permission"

(If this is done already can some1 point me to the right direction? )

Sketter

That's what this mod does.  Users with the "View Any Topic" permission disabled for the forum can only see topics they start (or stickied topics), while administrators and users with the "View Any Topic" permission enabled for the forum can see and respond to all topics.

Sketter

Does it also allow everyone to see and read every topic?  Even ones they didn't start?

This would help me because on our forums we want to allow any public inquiry to be viewed by the public, but response only by staff.

Paracelsus

Quote from: Sketter on December 04, 2007, 12:04:54 AM
Does it also allow everyone to see and read every topic?  Even ones they didn't start?

This would help me because on our forums we want to allow any public inquiry to be viewed by the public, but response only by staff.

If you want everybody to see the topics in a certain board you just have to disable this feature for all groups and then, if you don't want them to reply (just the staff), you can disbale the permission to answer topis in that board... of course, there's no way to do it per topic, just per-board.

Feldon

Quote from: Paracelsus on December 04, 2007, 04:43:52 AM
Quote from: Sketter on December 04, 2007, 12:04:54 AM

If you want everybody to see the topics in a certain board you just have to disable this feature for all groups and then, if you don't want them to reply (just the staff), you can disbale the permission to answer topis in that board... of course, there's no way to do it per topic, just per-board.

You don't need my mod for that.  I believe in the advanced board permissions you will find one for replying.  So you can disable replying to a specific board for regular members (or a specific user group), but leave it enabled for mods/admins/specific groups.

My mod actually hides the posts, which is clearly not what you want.

Sketter

Quote from: Paracelsus on December 04, 2007, 04:43:52 AM

When you mean per-board do you mean the whole forum system?  or the board within each category?

Quote from: Feldon on December 04, 2007, 05:14:24 PM

You don't need my mod for that.  I believe in the advanced board permissions you will find one for replying.  So you can disable replying to a specific board for regular members (or a specific user group), but leave it enabled for mods/admins/specific groups.

My mod actually hides the posts, which is clearly not what you want.

I do not see this advanced board permission, i would love to, but i don't.  Other then "Permission by board", but even that doesn't allow me to restrict people from replying.....perhaps I'm just not looking in the right place?

Feldon

SMF tends to refer to the entire software as the Forums and each individual category as a board or sub-board.

I was a little vague when I mentioned advanced board permissions.  That's my term, not SMF's... to access the so-called advanced permissions login to your forums, click Admin, click Permissions (under the Members menu), click Permissions by Board, click the Switch to Local option next to the board for which you want to enable advanced (or Local) permissions, and click the Board name. 

You'll now be presented with user group permissions specific to that board.  Click modify for a user group, such as Regular Members.  You will see a number of more advanced permissions options are available.  One such option is under the Topics section and is called Post Replies to Topic.  I think you can figure it out from here.

Good luck!

Green Death

Is anyone updating this mod for 2.0?

lood

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Feldon

Quote from: LexArma on February 01, 2008, 05:56:13 AM<br />
Quote from: lood on February 01, 2008, 05:45:55 AM<br />The zip file is corrupt<br />
<br />Noticed the same just now. <br />

Should be corrected now.  I suspect this happened after the SMF website problems a couple weeks ago.

Quote from: Green Death on January 23, 2008, 11:01:00 AM<br />Is anyone updating this mod for 2.0?<br />

Quite frankly I was hoping that the new permissions system for SMF 2.0 would negate the need for this mod.  Since I'm not a Charter member I don't have access to the beta to find out.

spaZzZilla

Quote from: Feldon on February 01, 2008, 05:52:43 PM
Quite frankly I was hoping that the new permissions system for SMF 2.0 would negate the need for this mod.  Since I'm not a Charter member I don't have access to the beta to find out.

I don't think 2.0 has this permission.  I'd still like the upgrade :)  It's a great mod.
Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Green Death

For me it's the only thing that is stopping me from using 2.0. Does anyone want to upgrade this for 2.0?

spaZzZilla

Yeah me too.... This is one of the few crucial things I need for my forum... We could start PMing Feldon until he updates it ;) jk.  If I have time this weekend I'll look through the mod and 2.0 in more depth to see what the upgrade would entail....but no promises, at all, for anything.
Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

MagicG

I have added French translation in this mod.

La traduction française de View Any Topic permission est en fichier joint.
Bests,

Gerard L.

Advertisement: