News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Create post from cell phone

Started by Zoom_739, March 11, 2007, 09:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoom_739

I have a forum that is restricted access (no guest accounts).  Its a bunch of buddies who like to brag and bull about everything.  Besides posting on the forum, we like to send out text messages to our group.

I would like to capture the text messages sent by a cell phone, into the forum. 

I want the ability for a forum member to create a post from a text message created on their cell phone.

I suppose this can get really tricky, especially trying to tie cell phone numbers to user accounts, but I really want it kept simple.

Example:
On MyForum, there is a category called "Incoming Messages".  There is a user account called "Cell-mate". (clever, huh?)  ;)

1. Member sends a text message from cell phone to "[email protected]".  The message reads "Hey guys, I just hit over 125 mph!!!  More later, Bob"
2.  "[email protected]" is set up to auto-forward the email to the forum.
3.  When messages come from "[email protected]", the forum automatically creates a new post under "Incoming Messages" from "Cell-mate".

Expectations:
1.  Every cell phone company likes to add their own headers/footers to the email.  That's ok. 
2.  Every post would be from "cell-mate". That's ok, users would have to get used to adding a signiture in their original text.
3.  The title of the new post would be the subject line of the email forwarded by "[email protected]"
4.  Replies back to the cell phone are not necessary.  Members would later read the replies in the forums.  Maybe the cell-user would just get an auto-reply that their message was received.

I don't know.  Fly casual.

Harro

Sounds like a great idea.
But I think it would be impossible without creating some kind of contract with a cellphone company... at least here in Belgium I think.
Correct me if I'm wrong though.

It should be possible if you send emails from your phone though, but not with text messages.

Ben_S

Can't they just post the message via wap, i.e. index.php?wap2
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Harro

My guess is that he wants to use text messages because it's easier and a lot cheaper.

Zoom_739

I did manage to find a mod called "Post from Email" by Grudge. 
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=168

I'll have to download this and see if it will meet my needs.

On my cell phone, when I create a text message, I can send it to a phone number or an email.  If I pick email, that person gets an email with a subject called "(cell company) text message from number 321-555-1212".

What I will do is set up an email account on "mydomain.com" that will auto-forward to the forum.

My need has nothing to do with cost or ease of text message.  My forum relates to BASE jumping.  That activity will have users out in the field, away from computers.  The cell phone helps in that the user can shout back to the forum, and stay connected with friends, without needing to haul a computer on the trip.

Send text message to "[email protected]"
Body: Hey guys, the vacation is going well.  Checking-in, I'm still alive.  I'll give you the details later, Bob"
[email protected] recieves text message.
Domain is set up to autoforward to the forum-mod.
Forum mod pipes in the email from cell-mate@mydomain into the forum (probably with "Post from Email" mod)
Post is created in the forum under a designated catagory under user "cell-mate"

Cell phone user will not be able to check replies to the post until he gets back to a computer.

Kinda like that.

I don't know.  Fly casual.

Advertisement: