News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Ajax Registration Feedback

Started by Hambil, March 19, 2007, 06:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hambil

Link to Mod

Provides instant feedback during registration for valid username, email, and passwords. See attached screen shots.

www.catnine.net/smf

RoarinRow

It installed ok, without any failures, but there was an error on the log in regards to the Subs-Package.php file and index.php.  Sorry I didn't copy the exact message.

When I tried to register, the ajax thingy didn't take or come up even though the mod was enabled via the Registration / Settings page.

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

Hambil

I need the exact message to help much...

www.catnine.net/smf

RoarinRow

Quote from: Hambil on March 19, 2007, 07:49:16 PM
I need the exact message to help much...

here ya go:

512: parseModification(): The filename 'index.php' is not a full path!
File: /forum/Sources/Subs-Package.php
Line: 1339

i checked my index.php file and the mod lines are there:

'ajaxreg_checkemail' => array('AjaxRegFed.php', 'CheckEmail'),
      'ajaxreg_checkpasswrd1' => array('AjaxRegFed.php', 'CheckPasswrd1'),
      'ajaxreg_checkpasswrd2' => array('AjaxRegFed.php', 'CheckPasswrd2'),

it just doesn't show up like in your screenshots when i enter an existing user name or incorrect password 2x.

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

Hambil

Make sure the AjaxRegFed.js file made it to whatever themes directory you have set as the default...

www.catnine.net/smf

RoarinRow

Quote from: Hambil on March 19, 2007, 09:55:09 PM
Make sure the AjaxRegFed.js file made it to whatever themes directory you have set as the default...

ah that was the missing piece    8)  works!

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

qtime

Not yet tested, but I think this should be a standard future!!!
Many thanks for your work!

Harro

Nice!
Definatly something that should be a default feature in the future!

miseryshining

What about giving feedback about the thing that causes many annoyances to people: Visual verification (captcha). Would make sense to add that to this module as well.  

Hambil

Quote from: miseryshining on March 20, 2007, 08:44:17 AM
What about giving feedback about the thing that causes many annoyances to people: Visual verification (captcha). Would make sense to add that to this module as well. 
Hmmm. How would that work? And how could it be done without creating a security hole? Captcha is designed to require human input - feedback could help a bot.

www.catnine.net/smf

KGIII

This made mod #80 I believe and did the trick just nicely. ;)

My PC Support Forum
Please ask in-thread before PMing
                   SMF Help
                   Visit My Blog

How can we improve the support process?:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=163533.0

SMF vs. Godzilla? Who do you think will win?

miseryshining

Quote from: Hambil on March 20, 2007, 08:47:00 AM
Quote from: miseryshining on March 20, 2007, 08:44:17 AM
Hmmm. How would that work? And how could it be done without creating a security hole? Captcha is designed to require human input - feedback could help a bot.

Thats a good point, i don't know how secure it is to pass the code to javascript. 

It could help a bot, but bots will still have to guess the combination before they can register. That would be scriptable, but it would still take effort to find the code (because of the delay at the client side javascript, telling everytime if the code is correct). I think you could fix this problem by adding a counter to the js, which checks how many tries have been made, and to disable the verification after +- 20 times. For bots, this would make it quite impossible to find the code.  

LGLDSR

Please disregard the below - I got that Mod the heck out of there and rolled back. Egads.....

-------

I received the below error after testing with a test account. Occurs sporadically. SMF v1.1.2.

Also, sometimes I will get "Password Accepted", sometimes not.

Lastly, the IP when viewing "Who's Onine" is no longer showing. See attached

<result>
<field>emailcheck</field>
<status>false</status>
<message>Invalid email</message>

<css>
color: white; background-color: red; width: 197px; border: thin black outset; text-align: center;
</css>
</result>

Lyman
Admin
http://www.thetrainforum.com

ADDENDUM: This is happening virtually all the time now. I am going to have to bring my board offline. PLEASE ASSIST!

Hambil

First, I'd uninstall the mod rather than take down your forums - no need to panic.

I've look at the site and I've noticed this error:

Error: junk after document element
Source File: http://thetrainforum.com/index.php?action=ajaxreg_checkusername&xml=true&username=Hambilus
Line: 4, Column: 3
Source Code:
      <form action="http://thetrainforum.com/index.php?action=login2" method="post" accept-charset="ISO-8859-1" name="frmLogin" id="frmLogin" onsubmit="hashLoginPassword(this, '02800cbc04b96201fdcaa25fb4d61319');">----------------^

A common cause of this kind of thing is not using binary mode when uploading files to your ftp. I'd check that tranfers are set to binary, not ascii or auto, and reupload the files for a start.

www.catnine.net/smf

LGLDSR

Default is set to Binary.

- Lyman
(In IT >24 years)

Hambil

Okay, well, then you can see you have a corrupted file. Either an edit went bad on the install, or there was some previous problem that is not coming to light. Without being able to examine the file there's not much more I can say at the moment. Is your forum working again?

The nature of HTML is that if some previous mod or problem caused HTML that is not well formed, it just might work fine until something else is added - for example some onchange attributes to the form tags.

I think that the problem is likely related to this error that I posted, and  I'd track it down and see where it leads. If you need you can PM me a temp admin account and I'll see what I can do. I'd probably need FTP access to examine the files in question.

www.catnine.net/smf

Hambil

Quote from: LGLDSR on March 21, 2007, 06:20:36 PM
Please disregard the below - I got that Mod the heck out of there and rolled back. Egads.....
I guess the 400 other people who installed it so far just aren't complainers when it crashed their boards.  ::)

www.catnine.net/smf

Coldfx

Quote from: Hambil on March 23, 2007, 05:06:39 AM
Quote from: LGLDSR on March 21, 2007, 06:20:36 PM
I guess the 400 other people who installed it so far just aren't complainers when it crashed their boards.  ::)

Just verifying it runs smoothly w/o any side-effects the other user mentioned :)

Oh, if it helps, I can post a list of my mods.  I have a little over 30, including a custom theme.

ckgb

Hi,

Installed with no errors. default theme.

For some weird reason it works ... sometimes. Sometimes it works sometimes it behaves like it's not vene there. Sometimes it would work for the "Tab" key, sometimes for mouse cursor.

It's a very nice feature but for me it's not working the way it should.

Hambil

Well, it's asynchronous. There can be a delay between tabbing off a field and seeing the result. That's the nature of AJAX. Also, I've noticed that when you have a browser that remembers and auto-fills from a dropdown it doesn't fire the on-change event. I'm not sure how to fix that at the moment. It's really a browser bug IMHO.

www.catnine.net/smf

Advertisement: