Visual Verification Options

Started by 青山 素子, March 22, 2007, 09:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

青山 素子

Link to Mod

This modification adds additional options to the built-in Visual Verification system.

This mod was written from scratch to use existing SMF code where possible and integrates options into areas where they would best fit.

This mod and other information can be found at:
http://www.animeneko.net/smf/

UPDATE: This modification is now under the BSD license. The source code repository is at https://bitbucket.org/motokochan/visual-verification-options-for-smf
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Harro

So this ads a captcha for guest posting and guest searching?
Or does it have other features as well?

青山 素子

At the moment, this just adds the option of making guest users have to enter a verification on post and search. I might be adding other options in the future.

Edit:

Also, if anyone wants to send me localization strings for my mod, I'll gladly add them to the package.
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Harro

Nice!
Don't need it right now but defeintatly a usefull feature :)

aIZe

Very nice!
Just installed it, looking good, thanks a lot.

I took the freedom to bash the install.xml a bit. No code changed, but templates (validating now) and also changed the succession of operations to my liking (yes, I'm a perfectionist). Also added translations for german-utf8. Here it is.

Edit: Please don't post the whole installer file, it will become outdated quickly. If you notice bugs, please either send me a diff or point the issues out in PM.

German language section:

<file name="$languagedir/Modifications.german-utf8.php">
<operation>
<search position="end"></search>
<add><![CDATA[
//Visual Verification Options
$txt['visual_verification_guest_post'] = 'Visuelle Bestätigung für Gäste aktivieren';
$txt['visual_verification_guest_search'] = 'Visuelle Bestätigung für Gäste aktivieren';
$txt['error_visual_verification_failed'] = 'Die eingegebenen Buchstaben stimmen nicht mit den im Bild gezeigten überein.';
]]></add>
</operation>
</file>

- Motoko-chan

aislin

This is a great mod! But I'm having one problem, I installed the mod but in the admin controls all I see is a check box but no description no matter what theme I use. When I check the box(es) the verification works just fine. Any ideas on how to make the description show?   

青山 素子

Are you using a language other than English? If so, that would be the reason. Look at themes/default/languages/modifications.english.php and copy the lines into modifications.YOURLANGUAGE.php
Motoko-chan

aislin

Thanks, I keep forgetting that when I used fantastico to install SMF it set my language to english-UTF8.

青山 素子

Version 0.2 has been released. No major bugs have been fixed, just some minor adjustments and features. If 0.1 is working fine for you, you don't need to upgrade.

New in Version 0.2:

• Added German, Turkish, and Japanese translations
  • Fixed mod to be valid XHTML
  • Broke out theme changes into different files
  • Added classic theme support
Motoko-chan

Daniel Hofverberg

Thanks so much for releasing this mod.

I'm having some problems installing it though. The package manager reports no problems during testing, but when I apply it no files seem to change and nothing is installed (although it reports that it is istalled). I have tested installing other mods (albeit simplier ones), and they installed correctly - but with this one nothing seems to happen, even though I tried several times.

Any ideas?

青山 素子

Have you checked on the default theme? Also, have you checked the admin area to see if the options are in there?
Motoko-chan

Daniel Hofverberg

Yes, I have checked with the default theme. The new admin options are not there. According to the time stamps on the files (when looking via FTP), it seems like no files have been edited.

青山 素子

Hm. Very odd. Do other mods install properly for you?
Motoko-chan

Daniel Hofverberg

For some strange reason, that seems to vary. A couple of simplier mods I have tried with (such as Spam-Me-Not) installs fine, while for instance SMF Arcade has the exact same problem as this one.

I haven't been able to find any pattern why some mods work, and some don't.

青山 素子

Very strange. I know there are some minor problems when running PHP 5.2, perhaps that is affecting you?

You can install the mods manually if you want. All it takes is a bit of time, care, and backups.

One of the team members has a mod parser that might help in understanding what needs to be changed. You can find it at http://modparser.dev.dansoftaustralia.net/

By the way, since this seems to be effecting more than one mod, perhaps you could post something on the main support area about this.
Motoko-chan

Toomany

Too many shadows, whispering voices,
Faces on posters, too many choices:
If, when, why, what?
How much have you got?
Have you got it, do you get it, if so, how often?
And which do you choose, a hard or soft option?..
How much do you need?..

Kestosippi

Thanks! Good Mod!
Motoko-chan! If You want add finnish translation too, it can be like in those files I put in this post:

Daniel Hofverberg

Quote from: Motoko-chan on April 04, 2007, 11:02:15 AM
Very strange. I know there are some minor problems when running PHP 5.2, perhaps that is affecting you?
That doesn't seem to be it, as I'm running PHP 4.4.2.

Anyway, I have managed to install it manually.

Do you have any plans to add an option to require visual verification on the Send topic page (when sending topics to a friend)? That feature is one large spam trap, and is currently pretty much impossible to have enabled for guests. Therefore, it would be a useful addition to be able to use CAPTCHA on that page, so one can enable send topics for guests as well.

青山 素子

That is a good idea. I'll look into adding that feature in the next release.
Motoko-chan

dvk01

Only one problem I keep getting with V 1 of the mod. Does V2 fix it

if guest searches are not selected in the options then I get a  shedload of errors in the logs

all

8: Undefined index: visual_verification_guest_search
File: /home/s/p/spykiller/public_html/Sources/Search.php
Line: 296

I allow guest searches & have no wish or desire to make them enter a verification code

forum is http://www.thespykiller.co.uk

same problem on

http://www.hedgehoghelp.co.uk

Edit:  I have found the problem, it was only occurring when visitors were using the search function in tiny portal block, not the main search function, so I have disabled the TP block for now

but can you look into it & see whether bloc needs to fix it in TP or whether your mod is incompatible with TP search function

Advertisement: