News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Allowing guests to see all Boards but not entering

Started by trenchteam, September 05, 2004, 11:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biology Forums

What if we want a specific board to be seen, but cannot entire as a guest?

Deprecated

I'm chuckling at your answer Kindred. I get that all the time. Doesn't work or doesn't work with XYZ site, and all I know is I have a complainer who is incomprehensible.

Anybody who knows me and I know you, I'll tell you what I'm working on lately. (PM) Other than the smaller size of the open source project it's almost a microcosm of SMF.

I sometimes want to kill new members for posts like "it doesn't work" and not giving me a test scenario that fails. I have a supermod that has filled my forum with stickies in failed attempts to tell members how to file a proper report so we can fix it. It amuses me to watch his fruitless work. I sure appreciate his efforts though, at least somebody is doing something while I'm slinging code.

I'm too busy working on the new release to handle people who can't ask a comprehensible question.

fishoaus

Quote from: trenchteam on September 05, 2004, 11:19:01 PM
I want guests to be able to see all the boards, but when the click the board, its says they have no access to it without login. How do I do this. WHen i set permissons in the admin, when your a guest the board just doesnt appear at all to them.   I want it to be able to be seen, but disable access until they are registered.  not sure if this makes sense.

[edit] changed topic title [/edit]

does this option allow  Individual  topics  with this fix see attachment  to make guest sign up

lordoftheflies1

Quote from: Deprecated on February 10, 2015, 12:28:14 AM
I'm chuckling at your answer Kindred. I get that all the time. Doesn't work or doesn't work with XYZ site, and all I know is I have a complainer who is incomprehensible.

Anybody who knows me and I know you, I'll tell you what I'm working on lately. (PM) Other than the smaller size of the open source project it's almost a microcosm of SMF.

I sometimes want to kill new members for posts like "it doesn't work" and not giving me a test scenario that fails. I have a supermod that has filled my forum with stickies in failed attempts to tell members how to file a proper report so we can fix it. It amuses me to watch his fruitless work. I sure appreciate his efforts though, at least somebody is doing something while I'm slinging code.

I'm too busy working on the new release to handle people who can't ask a comprehensible question.

Well put, i would love for that supermod of yours to come work with some people i know... lol

flower12

Quote from: [Unknown] on September 05, 2004, 11:37:51 PMSources/BoardIndex.php, find:

WHERE $user_info[query_see_board]
Replace with:

WHERE ($user_info[query_see_board]" . ($user_info['is_guest'] ? " OR FIND_IN_SET('0', b.memberGroups)" : '') . ")
--> Tips and Tricks.

-[Unknown]

Hi,

Is there a updated version of this code for version 20.18?

Diego Andrés

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Kindred

Just be aware...   when many users visit a site that DISPLAYS content, but then get told "you can only see the content if you log in" -- a large number of them will immediately go somewhere else!

Unless you have absolutely unique content, I do not recommend doing this.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: