News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF 1.0.10 Release

Started by Grudge, December 16, 2006, 08:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinspire

Quote from: eldʌkaː on December 22, 2006, 12:09:53 AM
Go to the download page, and use the 'Large Upgrade' package, or just use the Webinstaller. That will take you to 1.1.1.

means the only way is upgrade it to 1.1.1 right ? no other way of patching it huh ? my mods in custom theme ... sad  :'(

Dannii

There's no patch for 1.1 RC3 sorry.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

青山 素子

Quote from: KGIII on December 21, 2006, 07:53:49 AM
If SMF does do that and sustains it they'll be the first and only. I'll give kudos where they're due and so my expectation is that, if there is any team capable or willing? It'd be this one. On the other hand, it seems unlikely and unrealistic but what the heck? I'll root for you. :)

The Apache Foundation has managed to do this with their web server product. They are maintaining the 1.3, 2.0, and 2.2 branches just fine.

Since the released SMF versions are feature-locked, it isn't too impossible to continue patching SMF. The only think I could think that would stop it would be if there was a problem with the architecture itself that prevented patching.

Quote from: KGIII on December 21, 2006, 04:48:21 AM
I won't delve into it here but, well, why is it people will maintain a car but when it comes to an operating system, security application, or even software that they use for their site that folks are so inclined to say, "I have what I need, I won't go past here?" *sighs*

Because it is the same car, they are just doing the things that keep it running. A better analogue is keeping updated on patches and such. Moving versions would be a different car (or just buying a newer model year).
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

KGIII

Quote from: Motoko-chan on December 23, 2006, 07:12:28 PM
Since the released SMF versions are feature-locked, it isn't too impossible to continue patching SMF. The only think I could think that would stop it would be if there was a problem with the architecture itself that prevented patching.

That and time I suspect. I think it is fantastic the way that folks like you dive in, help out, and contribute as much as you do. If it is anything like any of the projects I've been involved with then time is a killer. Lack of time has killed some of the best features, ideas, etc...

Either way, I'll root for you. If anyone can manage it, maybe you folks can, you seem to have one of the more tightly knit communities.

My PC Support Forum
Please ask in-thread before PMing
                   SMF Help
                   Visit My Blog

How can we improve the support process?:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=163533.0

SMF vs. Godzilla? Who do you think will win?

CiHaD

Thantos

Ok closing this up.  Please post any support concerns to the support boards.  Thanks.

Advertisement: