Advice needed about site access problems

Started by dilaca, September 11, 2004, 09:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dilaca

People have had continual problems with my forum for the last week or so.

Whenever they try to login, read a page or post they get various error messages.  Some samples are below.  They are fairly constant at all times of night and day and almost everyone gets them.  They constantly need to refresh and the page appears again.

I've been in contact with Netfirms about the problems, and I've been given various explanations from the fact they have a heap of new registrations so it may cause occasional problems, to they can't recreate the problem and don't think anything is wrong.

I realise this is probably a host problem but I was wondering if any of you guys might have some suggestions of what I can ask Netfirms to check for.

The last time Netfirms told me my board had been tampered with and would never be accessed again someone from the yabbse forum found the problem and told Netfirms how to fix it.

(I'm looking into changing hosts, but want my site working properly again in the meantime)

These are a couple of threads where people are discussing the problems if anyone cares to read them and see if there are any clues.

http://puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=9489.0
http://puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=9551.0

Thanks for your time.  :)

The page cannot be displayed
There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed.
Please try the following:·   Open the puntroadend.com home page, and then look for links to the information you want. ·   Click the  Refresh button, or try again later.·   Click  Search to look for information on the Internet. ·   You can also see a list of related sites.

HTTP 500 - Internal server error Internet Explorer
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.
Please try the following:·   Click the  Refresh button, or try again later.·   If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.·   To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). ·   If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.If you would like Windows to try and discover them, click  Detect Network Settings ·   Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed. ·   If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0. ·   Click the  Back button to try another link. Cannot find server or DNS ErrorInternet Explorer
Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

The following error or errors ocurred while posting this message:
Your session timed out while posting. Please try to re-submit your message.
No subject was filled in.
The message body was left empty.

dilaca

P.S. There was a suggestion posted on the forum for people to use  Mozilla Firefox and there seem to be a lot less problems with it, but although it appears to work better than IE there are still problems.

dilaca

That was a problem a while ago roboter but Netfirms moved my site to a new server and they say it isn't a problem now.
Thanks heaps for your reply. :)

roboter88

oops :)

i thought my posting were a waste after i realized that you already think it is the host .)

[Unknown]

Page cannot be displayed means the server is overloaded at the minute, and never got around to responding.  This probably means netfirms is slopping too many people onto your server.

Internal Server Error means the server is having trouble, starting up, or is otherwise unavailable to process the page view.

The following error or errors ocurred while posting this message means the server was reset or the session data was cleared, and so the session was lost.

Firefox is by far better ;).  I would suggest its use as well.

Server shutdown in progress means that... the server is shutting down.  Please instruct your host to NOT shutdown the server often - people should not be getting that error message "occasionally", or you should be refunded for the period it is.

I would guess it is the host.  The connection error probably means the MySQL server is overloaded.  Your host is simply shoving too many people on a server.

I'm not sure what could be done to solve these problems.  I think your best course of action would be to tell Netfirms that you are not at all pleased with their service, of recent, and if it continues will be forced to demand a refund for this period of inadequate service.

Just my own suggestion.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: