News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

IE won't read a freakin cookie!!

Started by Jazhawk, September 13, 2004, 11:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jazhawk

What is going on that my SMF cookies and IE are not getting along?  I continue to have to re-log on to my board if I use IE.  Any ideas?

-Jazhawk

Oldiesmann

Try this:

First, go in and delete any cookies set by your site. These will be in C:\Documents and Settings\you\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files ("C" is the letter of the drive where Windows is installed, "you" is your username on that computer). Look for any files with a name like "Cookie:[email protected]/", "Cookie:[email protected]/" or "Cookie:forum.yourdomain.com/" (assuming "forum" is the subdomain where SMF is installed) and delete them.

Next, go into Internet Explorer, and select Internet Options from the Tools menu.
Click on the "Privacy" tab. Click on "Sites...". Enter your domain name in the box and click "Allow". This will tell it to always allow cookies from your domain. Exit out of there (click "OK" until the dialog boxes disappear) and then go to your board and login.

That should fix the problem, but if it doesn't, let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

kegobeer

Something else to consider is Windows XP: have you recently upgraded to SP2?  The way IE handles cookies and security could be a possible source of your problem.
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf
Posting and you (Click "WATCH THIS MOVIE")

Jazhawk

Quote from: kegobeer on September 13, 2004, 01:16:03 PM
Something else to consider is Windows XP: have you recently upgraded to SP2?  The way IE handles cookies and security could be a possible source of your problem.

No, I have not upgraded SP2 on this machine (hard drive) or the other one.  On both machines I've having the same issues with cookies and SMF.

@Oldiesmann

I'll look at that and hope it will correct this error.  It only happens when I use IE.

-Jazhawk

Jazhawk

Ahh, got it figured out.  Thanx guys.

-Jazhawk

Oldiesmann

Glad you got it working. What was the problem?
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Jazhawk

Quote from: Oldiesmann on September 15, 2004, 05:24:35 PM
Glad you got it working. What was the problem?

I use a redirect service to get to my boards and one of the options on the service is to mask the web address.  So rather than display http://www.simplemachine.org/community/anotherfolder/onemorelevel/index.php, it would only show, simplemachine.shorturl.com.

Turning that feature on confuses the heck out of the cookie so it forgets who's logged on.  Turning it off, corrected this glitch.

Make sense or did I confuse it more?

-Jazhawk

Oldiesmann

Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: