News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Smilies in description??

Started by haup9, September 17, 2004, 04:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haup9

I did a search but I wasn't able to come up with anything for my question (maybe I wasn't useing the right keywords?!)

I'm wondering if it is possible to have smilies show up in the description of a board on the index page. For and idea of what I am talking about please see http://www.petfish.net/forum/ [nofollow] I know that they are not running the same forum software sorry........

So is it possible to do this and how would one do it? Hopefully it can be done in the Modify Boards area. That would be sooooo much easier for me.

Thanks for any and all help.
[nofollow]

Cypher7

That forum you linked is using a modded version of YabbSE... which was the precursor to SMF...

Anyway... instead of having the smilies showing up in the description of the boards, I'd recommend something else...  what you can do is change the existing on/off.gif images so that they are the smilies... or whatever image you want...

here's an example, in my board, I have 4 different "board icons" (they were the search words that might have done the trick for you!) airport-tkd.com/forum

Here is how to change them...

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=7370.0

haup9

Thanks for the info!! That looks really cool.........now to figure out how to do it. I don't know any php my partner does so maybe he will be able to do it for us. Thanks again.
[nofollow]

Cypher7

No probs... I haven't got much knowledge of PHP either, and had completely none when I was doing what was is described in that link I posted...!

So, if I can do it...! ;)

DoW Kid Rock

ok this is kinda what I am looking for.  I am not looking to change the on/off graphics, but add pics to the description of the forums.  can anyone help with this?

A.M.A

You could use the same method described on that post but instead apply it to the board's description:
Quote<b><a href="', $board['href'], '" name="b', $board['id'], '">', $board['name'], '</a></b><br />
         ', $board['description'];
Really sorry .. real life is demanding my full attention .. will be back soon hopefully :)

[Unknown]

You can use HTML in board descriptions...

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: