News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How much load does SMF take on CPU Resource for large forums ? pls help

Started by thedarkknight, May 02, 2007, 03:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel15

QuoteSo disable compressed output (under Server Settings -> Feature Configuration).
This is a tradeoff... It will reduce CPU usage, but increase bandwidth usage ;).
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

Badmovies.org

Quote from: BlackMage on June 01, 2007, 07:48:27 PM
Ben_S is correct.  15 users is not that much load.

I agree that it is not much load, but many shared hosts are overselling so bad that they will suspend the account, citing TOS, at that point.  Heck, a bunch of them limit the number of database connections to such a low number that it is nearly unusable.

Quote from: Phalloidium on May 31, 2007, 09:23:22 PM
My forums have about 50 to 120 users online at any given time, bursting to 160. The forums use about 100% of one CPU in a dual CPU box (shared hosting). Disabling zlib compression brought that down from 130%. So disable compressed output (under Server Settings -> Feature Configuration).

Thankfully, MySQL is hosted on a different box (also shared). I'm still having issues there with the huge amounts of writes to the smf_sessions and smf_log_online tables. Converting to InnoDB didn't help much. I'm going to see about converting those to MEMORY tables.

I'm running a little over 3 million queries to the database on average per day. In dealing with MySQL slowness (because of the huge amount of writes), my host suggested going VPS/dedicated once I hit about 4 million per day.

I get about 70,000 page views per day.

All that for $20/mn. Go Dreamhost!

It seems like Dreamhost sometimes lets people do stuff like that, overload their fair share.  Quite possibly, they can do this because other accounts are not using anything at all and/or do not care or notice the performance hit.  What you describe sounds like definite VPS territory.  High end, with extra memory tacked on the plan and settings tweaked, at that.

Just converting to InnoDB is not enough, you also have to optimize your my.cnf configuration.  Of course, on a shared plan with Dreamhost, you will not be able to do so.
Andrew Borntreger
Champion of Cinematic Disasters
The Bad Movie Website
www.badmovies.org

Something like that

Quote from: Badmovies.org on June 03, 2007, 12:24:32 PM
It seems like Dreamhost sometimes lets people do stuff like that, overload their fair share.  Quite possibly, they can do this because other accounts are not using anything at all and/or do not care or notice the performance hit.  What you describe sounds like definite VPS territory.  High end, with extra memory tacked on the plan and settings tweaked, at that.

Just converting to InnoDB is not enough, you also have to optimize your my.cnf configuration.  Of course, on a shared plan with Dreamhost, you will not be able to do so.

Yeah, SMF (and PHP) sure is memory hungry.

I goofed reading their stats earlier. Apparently they have a "quota" of 24,000 cpu seconds per day, not the 86,400*2 seconds available on the machine (a quota that's not enforced). So I'm now running a little under 50,000 seconds, or about 14% of the CPU time.

I am, however, running into memory issues when dozens of php requests happen in a matter of seconds. I'm going to have to look into running a pool of php processors through some kind of cgi wrapper.

Minare

Hello

I didn't need to open another topic for this one will meet my need ( I guess )

I have nearly 15000 members and in 15 minutes, there are always about 100 - 200 guests and 20 - 40 members.

The page shows for a month has been over 1000.000 for two months and sometimes my forum gives error or becomes very slow.

I dunno if this requires vps or not ?

This is what I want to learn. Thanks.

Advertisement: