SMF 1.0 Beta 1 Released!

Started by David, September 29, 2003, 09:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Seen one person who runs windows and apache and it worked great, the other it didn't!

How does it run on 1.3.X of apache on windows? Anyone tried that out?

Rob

bostasp

Quote from: Rob on October 01, 2003, 03:54:09 PM
Seen one person who runs windows and apache and it worked great, the other it didn't!

How does it run on 1.3.X of apache on windows? Anyone tried that out?

Rob

apache 1.3.24 - crashes apache

Peter Duggan

It's running here on Apache 1.3.28, but I've not subjected it to much testing yet!

A.M.A

^
totally wrong  :)
The charter members get what was closed beta before.
Really sorry .. real life is demanding my full attention .. will be back soon hopefully :)

Ryan

shadup lol whatever.... ALl i know this message board has been released to who? Charter members ONLY which u gotta pay for... its scandalus!

So us poor people and youngsters gotta sit back and watch the rich and older generation have it first..........

There should be a release for everyone to start off with...

then newer betas for charter from then on....

I mean how this has all started is unfair.

Tyris

They've got 30 charter members? (thats my count).
what A.M.A said is right... it just means there are -more- specific beta testers... and by 'donating' you can be part of those special people... its about giving back to the developers.
I admit I'd like a charter membership to get my hands on the software... but really... $50 isn't worth an extra month with a 'beta' product... so I'd be happy to be supporting the developers, coz they really deserve it!

Its a donation. To help the devs. Would you prefer it if it was closed? and the donators got less (ie: near to none for their contribution) and it was tested (for a longer time) by fewer eliter members?

Tyris

AARG!!!! GIMME!!!!!

*ahem*
as you can see... members such as myself are perfectly capable if restraining ourselves from killing those charter members present... ;D ;D ;D

also: note that most of us thought the release would be alot later than it looks like it will be.
just be content that when it IS releasesd, it will be the best forum available :)

David

As we have said a few times ryan, the advanced beta that Charter Members recieve would normally have just been an internal beta and thus no one outside of the team would have recieved it.  Life isn't fair, we are sorry about that but this project costs us money and just a donation link never worked in the past.  This is just a way of saying thanks to those that decide to support the project.
This space for rent.

Jeff Lewis

Ryan, do you think we get all of our webspace, servers, etc for free? The Charter Member is supposed to work in two ways.

1) It allows users a chance to get releases a little early as well as access to priority support. You'll notice this all over the place For example, I just beta tested Trillian because I was a paying member.
2) The Charter members are supporting the developers here and helping cover costs which we've shouldered for years.

The beta that the Charter Members have now is a very early copy which is sure to have some bugs. It's much easier to release to a smaller group and fix things than release it to everyone - that IS the point of the beta. Would you prefer we selected a small closed group at random?

Ou current Charter Members vary greatly in age range - yes even "youngsters" as you point out. I believe we're right around 30 Charter Members right now as well.

Once we get some more fine tuning done, it will go to a public beta. Until then, users can follow progress in the forums.
Co-Founder of SMF

Ryan

still unfair >:( grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrowl

Tyris

heh, I did an ordered member thing... order by member group... there was exactly 30 when I checked ;)
I'd like a smaller random group ;)
more chance of me getting a copy that way than of $100 australian replacing the 27c in my bank account ;) (j/k... about selection, I really do have that much in my bank account tho)
I personally wish the donation fee was a little less... coz like $50 AU I could maybe afford.... $30, I'd be happy... but $100... is too much... I can buy 6 months of good web hosting for that much... or a new video game.... and I dont have a job coz I'm in the middle of VCE... but myeh, maybe when I can afford it, I'll sign up ^_^
(really wants to help out ^_^)

Jeff Lewis

It costs you $100? Wow :) For us Canadians it converts to 60 something I believe...
Co-Founder of SMF

Tyris

lol... its actually a little less now.... I'll just measure it as the cost of one video game (Gamecube or computer game)
only like $85 or something coz our dollar is going well for once...
Aussi's are always ripped off tho. (sorry guys... as poor as I am... I can't afford the loss of a video game ;))

Jeff Lewis

Quote from: Tyris on October 02, 2003, 10:41:41 AM
(sorry guys... as poor as I am... I can't afford the loss of a video game ;))

Priorities man!! ;)
Co-Founder of SMF

Joseph

Just as a point of interest, the support helpdesk for charter members has been very successfull.  Here are the response times on the 5 most recent trouble tickets:

Submitted: 11:32
Answered:  11:59

Submitted: 02:05
Answered:  02:40

Submitted: 9:34
Answered:  10:26

Submitted: 4:27
Answered:  4:39

Submitted: 7:21
Answered:  7:39

Submitted: 2:03
Answered:  3:33
Joseph Fung
Co-Founder & CEO, Kiite
Co-Founder TribeHR, Lewis Media, SMF

Omar Bazavilvazo

don't cry..

US$50 is 550 pesos or so :P

damn mexican corrupted politicians...

Personal Signature:
HablaJapones
http://hablajapones.org
http://hablajapones.org/tutoriales.php

NO me manden PM para soporte o dudas
...Leo los foros como todos...

charlottezweb

I can't honestly believe that anyone could complain about the way they have it setup.  Afterall, as stated, they have to pay for the servers somehow.  And why would you complain this is unfair, yet you say you would rather it just cost money in the first place?  Think of it that way if you'd like and just pay for a membership then.  I personally see $50 as too cheap for the amount of usage and fun I get out of this software, but you won't hear me complaining on that subject :O  hehe

Jason

Omar Bazavilvazo

ryan>
anyway.. is free, and will remain free...

the ~$50 are to help hosting costs, and for priority support and that.. the closed beta stuff is an extra, also.

we want ALL ppl to run our board, the most, the better.
Stop complaining, and all people will have beta, once is stable and bugless enough to have an open beta.

ja ne!

Personal Signature:
HablaJapones
http://hablajapones.org
http://hablajapones.org/tutoriales.php

NO me manden PM para soporte o dudas
...Leo los foros como todos...

Spaceman-Spiff

Quote from: charlottezweb on October 02, 2003, 02:15:23 PM
I personally see $50 as too cheap for the amount of usage and fun I get out of this software, but you won't hear me complaining on that subject :O  hehe

Thats why there is (was) still a donation page...
so you can still donate if you feel you're not giving enough :P

charlottezweb

Quote from: Spaceman-Spiff on October 02, 2003, 03:15:44 PM
Quote from: charlottezweb on October 02, 2003, 02:15:23 PM
I personally see $50 as too cheap for the amount of usage and fun I get out of this software, but you won't hear me complaining on that subject :O  hehe

Thats why there is (was) still a donation page...
so you can still donate if you feel you're not giving enough :P

Oh, but then I couldn't afford my banner campaign coming soon to a SMF forum near you :)

Jason

Advertisement: